This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.371 / 52°22'15"N
Longitude: -0.4113 / 0°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 508257
OS Northings: 275958
OS Grid: TL082759
Mapcode National: GBR FZB.BTZ
Mapcode Global: VHFP3.TNFR
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54730
Location: Brington and Molesworth, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Brington and Molesworth
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Brington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 0875 BRINGTON AND MOLESWORTH BRINGTON
21/11 Parish Church of
28.1.58 All Saints
Parish church. Nave C14, and later west tower and south porch added. Chancel
rebuilt in C15, and restored in 1675 dated stone in east gable wall of
chancel. Complete restoration in 1868 by Slater. Walls of Weldon limestone
rubble with Weldon stone dressings, and ashlar facings. Roofs of plain tiles
and lead. South elevation: Tower of three stages with moulded plinth and
panelled band of trefoils and quatrefoils at base of broached octagonal spire.
Single trefoiled-light window in second stage and belfry window of two
trefoiled-transomed-lights with quatrefoil, moulded label and grotesque stops.
Grotesque heads at base of broaches to spire. Three tiers of spirelights
decreasing in height with gabled heads. Nave with embattled parapet, with two
eastern C14 windows of two trefoiled-ogee-lights in a square head with
moulded label and head stops, western window c.1340 of three trefoiled ogee-
lights with flowing tracery and two-centred head with moulded label and
mask-stops. C14 south doorway with two-centred arch of two moulded orders.
South porch with two centred archway of two chamfered orders and moulded
label. Chancel with two similar C15 windows of two cinquefoil-lights in
four-centred head with moulded label. Priest's doorway c.1675 restored with
chamfered jambs and square moulded label with carved stops. Interior: Tower
arch two-centred of three chamfered orders with inner orders springing from
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch, C15,
two-centred with two chamfered orders, the inner order springing from attached
half-round shafts with moulded capitals and bases. In south wall a square
headed squint; in north wall the upper doorway of the rood loft staircase
projects from the wall. Seat formed from extended sill of south-east window.
Piscina, C13 reset with shafted jambs and central shaft with moulded capitals
and bases. Font. C13 plain oval tapering bowl with C14 octagonal to square
base. Font cover octagonal, pyramidal with turned finial, C17. North door
C16 with battens and strap hinges. Nave roof dated 1674 of four bays, low
pitched with cambered tie beams and curved braces with trefoiled spandrels,
carved bosses to tie beams. Glass in three nave windows, C14 fragments. For
monuments and floor slabs see RCHM.
RCHM: Huntingdonshire p27
VCH: Huntingdonshire p20
Pesvner: Buildings of England p213.
Woodger, A: Huntingdonshire Church Towers Archaeol J 141 1984
Listing NGR: TL0825775958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings