This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.392 / 52°23'31"N
Longitude: -0.2755 / 0°16'31"W
OS Eastings: 517448
OS Northings: 278506
OS Grid: TL174785
Mapcode National: GBR H0N.35K
Mapcode Global: VHGLN.54QM
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Last Amended: 21 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54628
Location: Upton and Coppingford, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Upton and Coppingford
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Upton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 17 NE UPTON MAIN STREET
4/162 Church of St. Margaret
28.1.58 (Formerly listed as Church
Small parish church mainly of C13 but the C12 south doorways to
the chancel and south aisle suggest an earlier church on the
site. C13 nave and chancel, C14 west tower and broach spire.
In 1870 the north aisle was rebuilt by G.G. Scott and the south
aisle and much of the west tower were cased in limestone
ashlar. Of coursed limestone rubble and pebblestone. C14.
West tower of three stages and bell stage. Gargoyles to main
cornice. Two cinquefoil openings in four centred head with
moulded label and return stops to each wall of bell stage.
Broach spire of Barnack ashlar with two tiers of gabled spire
lights. Nave with C19 tiled roof and c.1870 clerestorey of
Ketton stone. Each side has three windows of two ogee lights in
square heads. The south aisle has larger similar windows to
those of the clerestorey. The south doorway is late C11 or
early C12 and probably reset. Rounded headed arch with roll
moulding and small attached shafts with scallop capitals. The
bases of the doorway have been renewed with Ketton stone. Early
C13 chancel with plain tiled roof. One lancet window in north
and south walls. South doorway with chamfered reveal and
trefoil cusping to head. Moulded label and mask stops. East
window also early C13. Three lights with tracery intersecting
at head in two centred arch. Interior. C14 tower arch two
centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal
attached shafts with moulded capitals. North and south aisles
now of three bays, but originally extending west before
insertion of tower. Early C13 two centred arches of two
chamfered orders on round columns with moulded round capitals
and hold-water bases. The windows in the south aisle have deep
splayed reveals. Chancel arch probably C14 and of two wave
moulded orders on C13 responds of two chamfered orders. In the
north wall of the chancel there is a tomb recess with a shallow
moulded arch. Restored C13 double piscina in south wall of
south aisle. Two centred arch chamfered with trefoil cusping to
each. Continuous moulded label with return stops. Trefoil
cusped drain to each. Fine C12 font. Square with each side
carved with double scallop design. One C13 round stem with
detached subsidiary shafts with C13 capitals and bases but
modern marble shafts.
RCHM (Hunts), p278.
Listing NGR: TL1744878506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings