This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3771 / 52°22'37"N
Longitude: -0.3148 / 0°18'53"W
OS Eastings: 514809
OS Northings: 276786
OS Grid: TL148767
Mapcode National: GBR H0L.Z3K
Mapcode Global: VHGLM.HJF2
Plus Code: 9C4X9MGP+R3
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Last Amended: 21 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54563
Location: Buckworth, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Buckworth
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Buckworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Tagged with: Church building
TL 17 NW BUCKWORTH
3/94 Parish Church
28.1.58 of All Saints
(Formerly listed as Church of
GV II* All Saints)
Parish Church noted for its very fine early C14 tower and broach
spire. Earliest remains are in C12 eastern angles of the nave
with a slender attached shaft with incised spiral fluting at
north east quoin and volute-capital. South arcade and south
aisle late C13; the tower and spire c.1300; north aisle and
arcade c.1310. South aisle and north wall of north aisle
rebuilt c.1490 and clerestorey and porch added. Church restored
in 1862, the spire in 1884 and 1925; tower repaired in 1908.
Walls of limestone rubble with limestone dressings and ashlar
tower. Roofs of nave and aisles leaded, chancel plain tiled.
South facing elevation. Tower of four stages with angle
buttresses to cornice, lancet window in stage two, very fine
circular window with moulded label and geometric tracery in
third stage, the belfrey stage has a wall arcade of three, two-
centred arches resting on engaged jamb-shafts at each end and
grouped triple-shafts between the bays; centre bay has a two-
light window with plain spandrels; the heads of the flanking
arches are cusped with carved heads at the cuspings. Octagonal
spire has large broaches with bases of pinnacles at each
corner. Three tiers of spire lights, the first similar to the
belfrey light but taller. Clerestorey of three bays and windows
of two-lights in four centred arches, plain parapet to low-
pitched roof. Similar parapet to aisle of four buttressed bays,
three, three-light windows in four-centred arches. Porch with
angle buttresses has a two-centred moulded arch with moulded
jambs and jamb-shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The
chancel has a three-light window with intersecting tracery in a
two-centred head, there is a blocked area for a similar window.
The doorway has a two-centred arch resting on shafts with
moulded capitals and bases; steeply pitched plain tile roof.
Interior. The chancel arch, jambs partly rebuilt, is of two
chamfered orders resting on modern responds. Nave arcades of
three bays, have two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, the
columns of the north arcade are octagonal. The modern nave roof
is dated 1862 on a carved boss. Four large carved bosses are
possibly from the C15 roof and include a green man, the modern
bosses are carved with arms and crests of the Duncombe Shafto
family, the See of Ely etc. The tower arch of four orders has a
two-centred arch. The piscena is reset, has a quatrefoil basin
and two-centred arch. A small carved stone of a figure holding
a book, found in the foundations of the chancel in 1907, has
been set in south wall of chancel. The south door, possibly
late C13 or early C14 was rehung in late C15 to open outwards,
composed of five v-edged boards with rear frame of horizontal
rails. Wall monument with skull and cross-bows to William
Stevenson 1711. A barrel organ used in the church in 1845 was
converted to a vestment cupboard in 1905 and stands in the
tower. Replaced by organ in chancel in 1895.
VCH (Hunts) p24-26. RCHM (Hunts) p41-43.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p217.
Hewett, Church Carpentry, Phillimire, 1974, p104 (for an
Listing NGR: TL1480976786
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.