History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Paxton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2502 / 52°15'0"N

Longitude: -0.2597 / 0°15'34"W

OS Eastings: 518902

OS Northings: 262760

OS Grid: TL189627

Mapcode National: GBR J3K.TD9

Mapcode Global: VHGM7.GP2W

Entry Name: Parish Church of St James

Listing Date: 14 May 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54374

Location: Little Paxton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Little Paxton

Built-Up Area: Little Paxton

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Little Paxton St James

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Buckden

Listing Text

LITTLE PAXTON HIGH STREET
TL 16 SE
(SOUTH SIDE)
3/17 PARISH CHURCH
14. 5.59 OF ST JAMES
GV II*

Late C12 parish church of which the chancel remains almost
intact with evidence of early window openings in East and South
walls, and two almost complete doorways, one reset in the early
C16 South aisle wall. North wall of nave is said to have been
demolished in the mid C17 and was rebuilt in 1849 when the
Church was completely restored. Built into the lower courses of
the North wall are some C12 carved stones. West tower c1400,
South arcade and aisle c1500, rebuilt in C19. North porch
rebuilt in 1849. Walls of pebble rubble, ironstone and
limestone dressings. Roofs of tiles and slates. South
elevation; West tower of three stages has a chamfered plinth
and embattled parapet with grotesque gargoyles at the angles.
Belfrey window converted to two plain lights with a wooden
lintel. South aisle has three modern two-light windows. The
C12 door is reset and has a fine carved tympanum with a figure
of the Good Shepherd, a large cross enclosed in a circle, and a
wolf and a lamb. Two chancel windows of C14 and C15; and one
'low-side' C15 window to West of C12 chancel doorway with
shouldered corbels. Interior: partly restored C12 chancel arch
of one plain square order, and responds each with one attached
shaft. Tower-arch of clunch, two-centred, with two moulded
orders, semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. C16
arcade reconstructed in 1849 of four bays with segmental-pointed
arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered
basis.
Font with plain octagonal bowl on central chamfered shaft with
three small octagonal shafts, C13. Font cover of painted oak
C17. Monument to Robert Throckmorton 1698-9.
R.C.H.M. (Hunts), p201
V.C.H. (Hunts), p332
Pevsner, Buildings of England, p286


Listing NGR: TL1890262760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.