History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Diddington, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2789 / 52°16'43"N

Longitude: -0.2565 / 0°15'23"W

OS Eastings: 519044

OS Northings: 265956

OS Grid: TL190659

Mapcode National: GBR J3C.1Z5

Mapcode Global: VHGM1.HZSD

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 14 May 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130308

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54342

Location: Diddington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Diddington

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Diddington St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Buckden

Listing Text

DIDDINGTON DIDDINGTON
TL 16 NE
(NORTH SIDE)
1/16 CHURCH OF ST
14. 5.59 LAWRENCE
GV II*

The C13 church of nave, chancel and North aisle was added to and
altered in C16 when the North aisle was rebuilt, and the West
tower, South porch and South chapel were added. In C19 the
north vestry was added. The church is noteworthy for the
monuments and glass in the South chapel, the furniture in the
nave and the C16 brickwork. West tower of red brick, English
bond with Barnack dressings. Of three stages with embattled
parapet and beast gargoyles at corners. Diagonal buttressing
and splayed plinth. Newel staircase in South West corner with
two quatrefoil openings. West window of three cinquefoil lights
with vertical tracery and quatrefoils to spandrels. Two-light
openings to each wall of bell stage. Nave of pebble and
freestone and some red brick. Shallow pitch, slate roof with
C16 clerestorey. Three windows to each side, each of three
cinquefoil lights. Early C16 South chapel of pebblestone and
limestone dressings. Parapetted with moulded string at eaves
height and beast gargoyes to centre of cornice. Two windows of
three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. One blocked
window at East end. Chancel, mainly pebblestone. In C17 the
east end was shortened and the East wall rebuilt with narrow,
gault brick. Leaded roof of shallow pitch, with gable end
parapet. One C13 lancet window and one C14 window of two
trefoil ogee lights in square head to South wall. C14 South
door with ogee headed arch. South porch: red brick, English
bond. Gabled with stepped parapet finished with modern coping.
On brick plinth with stone splays. Four-centred outer arch of
two chamfered and stopped orders in square head with rubbed
brick label and return stops. C13 South doorway. Two-centred
and of two orders, the inner chamfered and outer plain and
carried on two engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
Interior: C16 tower arch of limestone. Outer order wave moulded
and inner chamfered and carried on engaged shafts to responds.
C13 North arcade of four bays. Two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders on round columns with moulded capitals and
bases. The four-bay roof of the nave is C19 but the tie beams
and jackposts are probably C16. The walls of the tower and nave
are plasterd. c.1505 South arcade of two bays. Two centred
arches of two chamfered orders. The central column is
octagonal. At the East and West ends the inner chamfered order
is carried on half octagonal corbels terminating in carved knot
pendants. C19 chancel arch. Monuments: between South chapel
and nave; 1505 rectangular tomb of limestone and Purbeck marble
with brass to William Taylard and Elizabeth, his wife. The
sides of the tomb have arcading with gothic cusping to heads.
North of the tomb in the nave is a brass to Alice (Forster),
wife of William Taylard, 1513. The stained glass in the South
Chapel is reset and of C15, C16 and C17. In the Nave and South
Chapel are fine, C16 oak pews. C13 font. Octagonal bowl on
round stem with double chamfered base. C17 alms box in nave, in
top of square post fastened to seat.
R.C.H.M. (Hunts), p66, mon. (1)
Pevsner (Buildings of England), p234


Listing NGR: TL1904465956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.