This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1395 / 51°8'22"N
Longitude: -0.9899 / 0°59'23"W
OS Eastings: 470762
OS Northings: 138282
OS Grid: SU707382
Mapcode National: GBR B85.GK1
Mapcode Global: VHDYB.SMJC
Entry Name: The Museum at Lord Mayor Treloar Hospital
Listing Date: 4 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477846
Location: Alton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Alton
Built-Up Area: Alton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection Alton
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 73 NW ALTON CHAWTON PARK ROAD
The Museum at Lord Mayor
Museum, now store. c.1912, altered late C20. Rubble flint walling with redbrick dressings. Lead roof. Single storey. Octagonal plan. Chamfered brick plinth and quoins.
North entrance front has large double plank doors in chamfered brick surround with hanging lantern above. Alternate side facades have single 2-light pointed arch windows in chamfered brick surrounds.
This building originally had brick battlements, which have been removed.
This small structure was built by patients of the Lord Mayor Treloar Hospital as part of their practical rehabilitation and training to allow them to support themselves after being discharged. This building is listed for its historic associations with the pioneering rehabilitation work carried out here under the guidance of the first Director, Sir Henry Gauvain.
Listing NGR: SU7092839639
Other nearby listed buildings