This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.518 / 51°31'4"N
Longitude: -0.1264 / 0°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 530097
OS Northings: 181557
OS Grid: TQ300815
Mapcode National: GBR HB.S0
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R3KN
Entry Name: Nos 43-48 Great Russell Street
Listing Date: 9 December 1977
Last Amended: 13 October 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477851
Location: Camden, London, WC1B
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW GREAT RUSSELL STREET
798-1/100/685 (South side)
09/12/77 Nos.43-48 (Consecutive)
6 terraced houses and shops. c1855-64. By William Finch Hill
and possibly EL Paraire. Stucco with rusticated ground floors.
STYLE: Modified French Renaissance.
EXTERIOR: 4 storey terrace of which the corner buildings (Nos
43 & 48) form slightly higher pavilions. 3 windows each.
No.43: with 7-window return to Coptic Street. Rusticated
pilaster strips to angles. Shop front of arcaded treatment,
the centre arch being the window with decorative wrought-iron
grill to riser, the left arch forming a fanlight to the part
glazed house door and the right hand arch a fanlight to the
shop entrance with elaborately decorative wrought-iron grille.
Roundels in spandrels with stained glass. Mutule cornice at
1st floor level. 1st floor windows round-arched, architraved,
recessed 2-pane sashes, above which architraved oculi enriched
with swags. 2nd floor sill band to segmental-arched
architraved sashes. Console bracketed cornice beneath 3rd
floor architraved sashes with keys. Cornice surmounted by
Nos 44-47: ground floor with square-headed openings; recessed
windows (C20 glazing) with keys, entrances with keys,
rectangular fanlights and mostly C20 doors. Cornice at 1st
floor level. Rusticated pilaster strips between 1st and 2nd
floor windows and on angles. Architraved 2-pane sashes, 1st
floor with console bracketed pediments and fielded aprons, 2nd
floor with fielded panels above windows and 3rd floor with
cornice heads and fielded panels between the windows. Dentil
cornice, with lion masks at intervals, surmounted by
balustraded parapet. No.48: with splayed, 1 window corner and
1 window return to Museum Street. Ground floor of arcaded
treatment with entrance in splayed corner. Vermiculated
rustication to wide piers and voussoirs, keystones with masks.
Pilasters with small sculptured plaques of dolphins and
anchors above, flanking entrance on splayed corner. All ground
floor openings currently boarded up. Mutule cornice at 1st
floor level. Rusticated pilaster strips to angles and
separating windows from 1st to 3rd floor. 2-pane sashes; 1st
floor round-arched, architraved, recessed sashes above which
architraved oculi enriched with swags. 2nd floor
segmental-arched architraved sashes. Console bracketed cornice
beneath 3rd floor architraved sashes with keys. Cornice
surmounted by balustraded parapet. INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: above the corner entrance of No.48, a
decorative wrought-iron sign bracket.
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.46 was the home of Randolph Caldecott,
artist (GLC plaque).
Listing NGR: TQ3009081558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Nos 43-48 Great Russell Street, a row of six houses with shops at ground-floor level. Nos 44-47 are thought to date from about 1720; the outer buildings were constructed circa 1855-1864 by William Finch Hill, probably with E L Paraire, at which time Nos 44-47 were refronted.
Six terraced houses with shops at ground-floor level. Nos 44-47 are thought to date from about 1720; the outer buildings were constructed about 1855-1864 by William Finch Hill, probably with E L Paraire, at which time Nos 44-47 were refronted.
MATERIALS: stuccoed brick. The single-pane sash windows at first-floor level and above are C20.
PLAN: Nos 43-48 are on the south side of Great Russell Street. Nos 44-47 form a row of uniform width, with rear closet wings now linked with former service areas to the rear, which are much altered. Nos 43 and 48 form corner pavilions: No 43 has a rectangular plan extending southwards along Coptic Street; No 48, which has a wider frontage on Great Russell Street, has a rectangular plan on a west/east axis.
EXTERIOR: the overall style of the corner buildings is modified French Renaissance; the treatment of the central terrace shows a more sober Italianate influence. Each building is three windows wide to Great Russell Street, No 43 having a seven-window return to Coptic Street, and No 48 having a splayed one-window corner and a single-window return to Museum Street. The buildings are of four storeys, with the corner pavilions being slightly higher; the storeys of the terrace and pavilions are not aligned.
In Nos 44-47, the rusticated ground-floor has square-headed openings with keystones; the doorways have plain rectangular fanlights, and C20 doors. The windows are recessed, without architraves. At first-floor level is a cornice; above, the first and second floor windows are separated by rusticated pilaster strips, with wider strips between the houses. The first-floor window architraves have console-bracketed pediments and fielded aprons; on the second floor the windows have fielded panels above, and on the third-floor have cornice heads with fielded panels between the windows. There is a dentil cornice, with lion masks marking the junctions between the houses, surmounted by a balustraded parapet.
No 43 has rusticated pilaster strips to the angles; at first-floor level and above these are vermicilated. On the Great Russell Street elevation, the shop front has an arcaded treatment with fluted pilasters, the centre arch being the window with decorative a wrought-iron grille to the riser, the left-hand arch forming a fanlight to the part-glazed house door and the right-hand arch a fanlight to the shop entrance; which is protected by an elaborately decorative wrought-iron grille. In the spandrels are roundels with stained glass. On the Coptic Street elevation the ground-floor is entirely rusticated. The round-arched openings have faceted keystones; there is a single doorway, with a second apparently converted to a window. At first-floor level is a mutule cornice. Above, the rusticated pilaster strips are vermicilated. The round-arched first-floor windows have architraves enriched with a decorative rope-moulding with anthemion to the base; above are blind oculi with husk swags. At second-floor level the windows have segmental heads, a cill linking the architraves. Above a bracketed cornice the attic windows have architraves with anthemion to the keys. In No 48, the Great Russell Street elevation has an arcaded treatment, with a central doorway flanked by windows. There is vermicilated rustication to the wide piers and voussoirs, and the keystones have masks. The corner has another, square-headed, entrance, flanked by pilasters above which are plaques with dolphins and anchors in relief; a third pilaster marks the end of the building on Museum Street. On Museum Street, a more recent shopfront has been inserted between the pilasters. Above ground-floor level, the building follows the same pattern as No 43, though with pilaster strips of vermicilated rustication between the windows. There is plain rustication to the corner, with vermicilated keystones.
INTERIOR: of the earlier houses (Nos 44-47) the interiors of Nos 45-47 only were inspected. These make it clear that the houses behind the frontages date from the early C18, and probably around 1720. Each house is entered to the west, with a dog-leg stair to the south-west and two rooms to each floor, and closets to the rear. Of the houses inspected, survival is best within No 46, which retains a number of historic features. The stair remains intact above the ground-floor, with an open string to the landing above first-floor level, and a closed string above that. The lower part of the stair has moulded brackets; the balusters have a twisted element above the base, but the column above is plain rather than twisted, as would be the case in the more usual configuration. Above first-floor level the turned balusters are vase-shaped. There is full-height recessed panelling to the stair, and to the first-floor. The neo-classical window architraves to the first-floor front room belong to the C19 re-fronting. The panelling, shelving and chimneypiece in the ground-floor shop are understood to be C20. Six and four-panelled doors found within the house are probably later-C18 or early-C19. The house contains a number of C19 fireplaces, with a cast-iron range in the cellar. No 45 has the same stair as No 46, and some panelling remaining to the stair and second-floor areas. The ground-floor shop does not retain historic features. No 47 has received very extensive restoration, including the restoration or replacement of much of the stair, on the original model. Some original panelling is thought to remain to the upper stair and first-floor. The houses have C19 roofs, though reached by C18 stair compartments, that to the converted roof space of No 45 being a replacement.
The later, corner buildings (Nos 43 and 48) were not inspected internally, other than the ground-floor shop of No 48, which does not retain significant historic features.
Great Russell Street was first laid out as an important residential street in the second half of the C17; Nos 74-77, built in the 1660s, survive behind later stucco frontages. In 1720 the street was referred to by John Strype in his 'Survey of London' as ‘a handsome, large and well built street’. Fabric within Nos 44-47 Great Russell Street suggests that these houses may have been in place at that time. The houses were refronted at some time between 1857 and 1864, at which time the end pavilions, Nos 43 and 48, with shop fronts, were added. The architect was William Finch Hill, who also rebuilt the Museum Tavern, in 1855; in Museum Street Finch Hill rebuilt Nos 37-41 in 1861 (this row includes the Plough Inn) and Nos 27-34 in 1863-4. At Nos 42-47 Museum Street houses of circa 1700 were re-fronted.
Finch Hill was best known for designing music halls; these included Weston’s Music Hall, Holborn (1857), The Britannia, Hoxton (1858) and the Royal Cambridge, Shoreditch (1864) all of which have now been demolished. In partnership with Edward Lewis Paraire from 1856-1870, Finch Hill also built a number of public houses, including the Hat and Feathers in Clerkenwell and The Crown in Monmouth Street, Covent Garden, both listed at Grade II. Paraire was probably also involved in this Bloomsbury scheme. Both Finch Hill and Paraire were well-versed in French Renaissance architecture; this is apparent in the design of the Museum Tavern and the rest of the Great Russell Street and Museum Street development, which is of largely uniform design, the buildings sharing distinctive features including the decorative rope-band surrounding the first-floor windows, and the oculus motif above. The frontages of Nos 44-47 Great Russell Street are plainer, reflecting the fact that they respect the configuration of the earlier buildings behind.
A Greater London Council blue plaque at No 46 commemorates the residence in the 1870s of the artist and illustrator Randolph Caldecott (1846-86).
The ground-floor premises are all now in commercial use, with residential and office space above.
Nos 43-48 Great Russell Street, a row of six houses with shops at ground-floor level dating from about 1720 (Nos 44-47), with mid-C19 refronting and outer buildings (Nos 43 and 48) by William Finch Hill, probably with E L Paraire, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an early-C18 terrace, refronted in the mid-C19 with the addition of two end pavilions, showing lively French Renaissance influence;
* For the survival of significant early-C18 internal fabric and features.
* As a historically layered group, illustrative of the development of this part of Bloomsbury.
* As part of W Finch Hill's 1855-1864 project immediately to the east of the British Museum, with the Museum Tavern, Nos 37, 38 and 39 Museum Street, Nos 40-41 Museum Street, Nos 42-47 Museum Street (a refronting of a row dating to about 1700), and The Plough (No 27 Museum Street) all being listed at Grade II; the British Museum is listed at Grade I.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings