This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3422 / 53°20'31"N
Longitude: -2.7282 / 2°43'41"W
OS Eastings: 351614
OS Northings: 383058
OS Grid: SJ516830
Mapcode National: GBR 9YDS.4M
Mapcode Global: WH87R.2844
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56041
Location: Halton, WA7
Electoral Ward/Division: Mersey
Built-Up Area: Runcorn
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Runcorn Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 58 SW FORMER RUNCORN U.D. TRINITY STREET
Church of the Holy
Parish Church 1838 by Joseph Hartley of Runcorn with chancel added
1857. Red Sandstone with slate roof of the Commissioners Lancet type.
Rectangular five bay nave with west tower, the later short chancel is
narrower and less lofty. The main gothic entrance door, in the tower,
is flanked by shafts and surmounted by a label with hall flower stops,
above are three lancets with cast iron diamond lattice windows and at
bell stage there are paired louvred lancets to three faces. The tower
has stop chamfered piers to the quoins,which reduce in size at bell
stage, these are topped by pyramid pinnacles and there is a
crenellated parapet. The nave has projecting plinth, twice reducing
buttresses, between each pair of lancets, and solid eaves parapet.
There is stained glass in the treble lancet group of the chancel and
the choir windows, all others are cast iron lattice. Interior:
Marble reredos, free standing Oak altar with matching rail, choir
stalls with poppyheads, Oak-pulpit with stone base. The timber
gallery at the West end is supported on round cast iron columns. Roof
has 5, three post strutted trusses with cusps, exposed purlins and
plastered raking ceiling. Wall mounted stone war memorial.
Listing NGR: SJ5161483058
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings