History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1696 / 53°10'10"N

Longitude: -2.7361 / 2°44'9"W

OS Eastings: 350890

OS Northings: 363864

OS Grid: SJ508638

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.47X4

Mapcode Global: WH88H.YL8G

Entry Name: Burton Hall

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55712

Location: Burton, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Duddon and Burton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tarvin St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Kelsall

Listing Text

SJ 56 SW BURTON C.P. THE VILLAGE
(South Side)

5/9 Burton Hall

22/10/1952

GV II*

Hall: early C17 for John Worden, some small C19 additions. English
bond orange brick with buff sandstone dressings, Welsh slate roof and
4 gable stone capped brick chimneys. Square in plan. 3-storey over
basement, symmetrical 3-bay front. Chamfered stone plinth, flush
stone quoins, continuous label mould at 2nd floor. The front is under
a stone-coped and finialled triangular gable. Ground storey has a
chamfered 4-centred arched doorcase, approached by 10 stone steps, with
a flat hood mould containing a C19 oak panelled door. To either side
are 3-light rebated and chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with
label moulds, similar but unrebated windows in 1st floor and blocked
4-light window in the gable with single lights to either side and
above. Both sides have similar gables with similar windows including
mullioned windows in the plinth.
Interior: entry into small hall which contains late C17 dogleg oak
staircase with twisted balusters, square newels and heavy handrail. 4
rooms on each main storey, with room to left of entrance wainscotted
with cornice and wooden surround to a corner fireplace. Heavy, deeply
chamfered ceiling beams carried on moulded wooden post and corbel at
1st floor. 8-panelled doors with reeded rails at 1st floor.
Described by Webb in 1623 as "the fair and fine conceitedly built
house of brick". D King, The Vale Royall of England, London 1656.
The hall gives the impression of a tower house and belongs to the same
tradition as the Little Castle at Bolsover Castle, Derbyshire, but of a
smaller scale.


Listing NGR: SJ5089063864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.