History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Malpas, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0202 / 53°1'12"N

Longitude: -2.7694 / 2°46'9"W

OS Eastings: 348488

OS Northings: 347267

OS Grid: SJ484472

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.FRT4

Mapcode Global: WH898.FBHZ

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 28 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130589

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55583

Location: Malpas, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Malpas

Built-Up Area: Malpas

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Malpas St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Malpas

Listing Text

SJ 44 NE
2/40

MALPAS C.P
CHURCH STREET
(North Side)

The Rectory

II

Rectory circa 1760, much altered externally late C19 and with rear
wing and attached buildings demolished mid C20. Red-brown Flemish
bond brickwork with hipped grey slate roof. 3 storeys; 5 windows. The
front has a 3-storey projecting canted bay of 3 windows with 1 window
to each side. Sandstone plinth; 3-course plain band at 1st floor;
coved plaster eaves. Parapet removed. Lower side windows were
Venetian; that to right survives, with stone case. Other windows were
recessed small-pane sashes; 1 survives in each oblique side of central
bay. Other windows mullioned and transomed. Upper storey of canted
bay pargeted early C20 with inserted 4-panel casements and furnished
with swept hexagonal spire with tiny hipped dormer. The 2 surviving
sashes in lower storey and all upper storey openings have
shaped-keystone wedge lintels (c.f. Drake's House and Cottage item 68
and Post Office item 60). 2 symmetrically placed ridge chimneys and a
flush chimney on left end wall. The right end has small window
inserted left of door, inscribed KWT 1883. All openings to windows
(except mullioned and transomed insertion) have keystone wedge
lintels. Projecting stone cills to all unaltered openings. The left
(service) end has miscellaneous windows, some C18.
Interior: Central front room of 3rd storey,receiled early C20, has
brass plate on door inscribed "Reginald Heber, Bishop of Calcutta, of
excellent memory, was born in this upper chamber upon the 21st of
April 1783 + R.I.P.". Bishop Heber was notable both as missionary and
hymn-writer.


Listing NGR: SJ 48488 47267

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.