History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Printing House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Malpas, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0192 / 53°1'9"N

Longitude: -2.7665 / 2°45'59"W

OS Eastings: 348675

OS Northings: 347156

OS Grid: SJ486471

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.FSK0

Mapcode Global: WH898.GCTQ

Entry Name: The Old Printing House

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 28 August 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55591

Location: Malpas, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Malpas

Built-Up Area: Malpas

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Malpas St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Malpas

Listing Text

MALPAS C.P. CHURCH STREET
SJ 44 NE
(South Side)
2/48 The Old Printing House.
(formerlylisted as The
Printing Works and House
adjoining The Printing
Works)
22/10/1952
GV II*
House, 1733, of Flemish bond brown brick, partly on a bedrock plinth,
with graded grey slate roof. Of 2 storeys and 3 windows, a symmetrical
front altered by insertion of shop window and door, C19. The
centrepiece has a pediment gable of moulded brick, on brick pilasters.
House door of 6 fielded panels, with square fanlight having ornate
cast-iron bars (2 concentric circles with 2 concentric semi-circles to
each side) under a small dentilled pediment of brick. Right of door a
flush 12-pane sash under basket arch with projecting key, of brick.
C19 shop window, slightly larger than former sash, but with basket
arch unaltered, in left wing has 20 small panes above a row of 3
larger panes. Between house door and shop window a small inserted C19
door has 16 panes (including margin panes) above 2 flush panels. A
flight of 4 stone steps to each door. Upper storey has 3 flush
12-pane sashes under gauged brick heads with projecting brick keys.
Under the pediment a stone carries the Cholmondeley griffin in relief
and the date 1733. The rear has altered openings to lower storey and
3 leaded cross-casements under gauged brick heads to upper storey.
Interior: Rock-cut brick-lined cellars have brick barrel-vaults.
2-panel doors of oak to principal rooms. Corner fireplaces; that to
upper storey left room has early C19 cast iron grate. Lower storey
front room, left, has simple cyma plaster cornice. Chamfered oak
beams; oak joists. Good oak stair, 1 flight per storey, to upper
floor and to attic, has shaped newels and rail and 2 turned balusters
per step. Simple roof structure of oak has purlins carried on
cross-walls and ridge supported on struts from spine wall.
An unusual Classical treatment of a small building.


Listing NGR: SJ4867547156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.