History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bandstand in Eccleston Ferry Farmhouse Garden

A Grade II Listed Building in Huntington, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1532 / 53°9'11"N

Longitude: -2.8747 / 2°52'28"W

OS Eastings: 341604

OS Northings: 362137

OS Grid: SJ416621

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.5B7J

Mapcode Global: WH88M.T09K

Entry Name: Bandstand in Eccleston Ferry Farmhouse Garden

Listing Date: 22 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130636

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55501

Location: Huntington, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Huntington

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bruera St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 46 SW HUNTINGTON C P ALDFORD ROAD
(West Side)

5/52 Bandstand in Eccleston
Ferry Farmhouse garden.

GV II

Bandstand or covered cafe area: dated 1888 by John Douglas for the
1st Duke of Westminster. Open timber framing on ashlar red sandstone
plinth, red tile roof. Rectangular plan. Chamfered plinth carries a
low wooden balustrade with rectangular balusters and heavy wooden
posts with arch bracing to wall plate. South gable has chamfered
doorcase to cellar, slightly canted corners to plinth. Date on
tiebeam and large diamond-shaped plaster panel of goddess with serpent
staff and cornucopia, flanked by dolphins and with the motto PEACE AND
PLENTY. Stone steps against west side and entry in north side.
Interior: of 2 bays with massive roof trusses of a tiebeam and 2
diagonal struts.

A cafe and bandstand were established here by the 1st Duke for
visitors from Chester taking boat trips down the river, and people
from his estate who could take the ferry until the time of the 2nd
World War.


S603


Listing NGR: SJ4160462137

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.