This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1746 / 53°10'28"N
Longitude: -2.8251 / 2°49'30"W
OS Eastings: 344948
OS Northings: 364484
OS Grid: SJ449644
Mapcode National: GBR 7D.447Q
Mapcode Global: WH88G.KGYM
Entry Name: Semi Derelict Building at the Corner of Whitchurch Road and Rowton Lane
Listing Date: 22 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55509
Location: Rowton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Rowton
Built-Up Area: Waverton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Christleton St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 4494 6448 ROWTON C P WHITCHURCH ROAD
5/60 Semi-derelict building
at the corner of Whitchurch
Road and Rowton Lane
Part of a farmhouse now unused: probably early C17. Red sandstone rubble
and a later brick north wall. Thatched roof covered with corrugated iron.
1-storey, 1-bay east front. Small square window towards right side.
Interior: replaced purlins and cleft rafters.
There is strong local tradition that it was used as a hospital for the wounded
after the battle of Rowton Moor, 1645, fought in the fields surrounding it.
The later brick farmhouse that was attached was demolished in the 1950's.
Listing NGR: SJ4494864484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings