This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.036 / 51°2'9"N
Longitude: -2.0634 / 2°3'48"W
OS Eastings: 395652
OS Northings: 126298
OS Grid: ST956262
Mapcode National: GBR 2YM.TCF
Mapcode Global: FRA 66KC.XMY
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320260
Location: Ansty, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Ansty
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Ansty St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 NE ANSTY ANSTY VILLAGE
3/34 Church of St. James
Anglican parish church. C13, restored 1842, 1878, 1917 and 1965.
Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Cruciform plan; the transepts are
C19 rebuilds. North transept has chamfered pointed doorway with
hoodmould and double doors, group of three stepped lancets with
hoodmould over, coped verge. Nave to right has pair of lancets,
west end has diagonal buttresses and three stepped lancets with
hoodmould, small stone bellcote with cross finial to gable. South
side of nave has pair of lancets. South transept has Tudor-arched
doorway to west, three stepped lancets to south. Attached in angle
between chancel and transept is flat-roofed vestry of 1878 with
chamfered doorcase. Chancel has pair of lancets to north and south
sides and group of three to east end.
Interior: Plain plastered walls and renewed roofs in nave and
transepts date from restoration of 1965. Chamfered pointed arches
on broad octagonal half-shafts to chancel and transepts. Chancel
has plastered wagon roof, late C17 bench ends with well-carved
foliage, said to come from Seth Ward's stalls at Salisbury
Cathedral. Good late C19 stained glass in east window.
Cylindrical stone font with stylised drop ornament, in north
transept. South chapel has pair of good late C18 wall tablets;
limestone and marble tablet to William Best died 1794 with fluting,
broken segmental pediment with urn and scrolled apron, a similar
tablet on opposite wall to Bridgette Lambert died 1792 with
pediment and fluted pilasters. (Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire 1880;
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; P.W.
Preston, By and its Crusader Church, 1980).
Listing NGR: ST9565226298
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings