This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0006 / 51°0'2"N
Longitude: -2.0782 / 2°4'41"W
OS Eastings: 394606
OS Northings: 122354
OS Grid: ST946223
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z5.9D2
Mapcode Global: FRA 66JG.Q5Y
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320275
Location: Berwick St. John, Wiltshire, SP7
Civil Parish: Berwick St. John
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Berwick St John St John
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 SW
BERWICK ST JOHN
(North side) Church of St John
Anglican parish church. C14, 1861 restoration by H.Woodyer. Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Cruciform plan, north-east vestry. C19 pointed double-chamfered arch to north doorway, double doors, nave to left has cusped lancet, 2-light pointed window with geometric tracery to right. North transept has 3-light window with reticulated tracery, diagonal buttresses and coped verges.
C19 vestry to north side of chancel has group of four cusped lancets and pointed chamfered doorway, rainwater head dated 1861. East end of chancel has 4-light geometric-style window with hoodmould with carved head terminals, diagonal buttresses, south side of chancel has 2-light geometric window, south chapel has 2-light geometric window to east, pointed door and cusped lancet to south. South transept has 3-light geometric window with hoodmould and carved head terminals, dated rainwater heads. Covered stairs to tower have shouldered chamfered doorway and three arrow loops, in angle between nave and south transept. South side of nave has double chamfered pointed doorway, two 2-light geometric-style windows and one cusped lancet. West end has 3-light window with geometric tracery, diagonal buttresses and coped verges. C14 crossing tower has angle buttresses, 2 stages over nave with string courses. 3-light Tudor-arched window to each face with decorative pierced louvres, carved battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles and rainwater spouts.
INTERIOR: nave has 3-bay C19 arch-braced collar roof, with windbraced purlins. Chancel and nave arches are double-ovolo-moulded, transepts have double-chamfered arches. Transepts have pointed wood-panelled barrel-vaulted roofs. Chancel has ogee piscina on north wall, pair of double hollow-chamfered arches to south organ chamber and north vestry and chapel. South transept has cusped piscina, large free-standing cusped arch over recumbent knight; Sir John Hussey, C13, classical marble tablet to Samuel Foot, died 1792, signed by R.Earlsman of Salisbury. Nave and chancel fittings such as pews, limestone octagonal font at west end, date from 1861, wooden pulpit with traceried panels of 1911. North transept has C19 free-standing arch with C15 recumbent knight; Sir Robert Lucy, six hatchments on wall, tablet with arms to Grove family of Ferne House, date is 1758, signed by Osmond of Sarum. North chapel has marble tablet to Rev. Peregrine Bingham, died 1826, signed by T. King of Bath. Some good late C19 stained glass in chancel, south transept and west window, attributed to Hardman. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)
Listing NGR: ST9460622354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings