This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1651 / 51°9'54"N
Longitude: -1.8914 / 1°53'29"W
OS Eastings: 407688
OS Northings: 140651
OS Grid: SU076406
Mapcode National: GBR 3YM.W1Y
Mapcode Global: VHB59.5ZF7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 10 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321551
Location: Winterbourne Stoke, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Winterbourne Stoke
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Stoke St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WINTERBOURNE STOKE CHURCH STREET
SU 04 SE
4/237 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C15 and early C19. Flint
with dispersed limestone and stone quoins. Chancel of yellow
brick. Tiled roofs. Cruciform plan, comprising an unaisled C12
nave, north and south transept chapels to C13 crossings, and
chancel rebuilt early C19 with a lean-to south organ recess. Nave
has intersecting tracery windows set in recessed panels. C15 four-
light panel tracery west window with door under. C19 gabled north
porch with stone slab roof carved as barge boards. Blocked west
door. North chapel largely rebuilt in C19 with similar 2-light
window. Rectangular central tower of C15, of 2 stages, with 2-
light openings with hoodmoulds to bell chamber. Crenellated
parapet above top string course and corner gargoyles. Blocked
lights low down on north and south sides. Pilaster buttresses at
west end. North internal door of C12, two orders, the outer with
double chevron and diaper, the inner carved squares and rings. One
carved springer. Nook shafts with volute capital on west, and a
monster on east capital. Consecration crosses on jamb. Blocked
south door, also C12, an outer zig-zag order and inner bowtell.
Nook shafts to carved capitals missing. Part of scratch ring on
monolithic lintel (the other half built into west buttress) and 2
Interior: Nave plastered, with stone flags and brick floor. C15
encaustic tiles set around front. Boarded barrel vault of 5 bays
with inclined truss posts to walls. Traces of painting on inner
jamb stones of north door. On south wall towards crossing, jamb
stones probably remaining from contraction of an original square
C13 tower to rectangle. Nave and chancel arches late C13, three
uninterrupted chamfered orders. North and south crossing arches
earlier C13, on round capitals and nook shafts. North transept,
now vestry, and south transept chapel has low set piscina. Chancel
raised 2 steps. Angled boarded vault. Reset trefoiled piscina and
aumbry. C19 carved stone reredos set between mullions of east
window. Fittings: Font, C12, plain stone bowl on moulded base.
C17 painted cover with shaped brackets to clustered centre columns.
Pulpit, under crossing, fine free-standing C17 carved octagon on
original columned base. Organ by Walker of London. Some C17
simple panelled pews either side of font, the remainder replicated
in C19. Monuments: Nil. Furniture: Three coffin stools and a
wheeled bier with brass rails. Late C18 parish chest. Glass: In
nave windows, four early C19 painted saints and virgin. East
window of 1909.
(Churches of South East Wiltshire. RCHM (1987) )
Listing NGR: SU0768840651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings