This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1567 / 51°9'24"N
Longitude: -1.8097 / 1°48'35"W
OS Eastings: 413401
OS Northings: 139732
OS Grid: SU134397
Mapcode National: GBR 507.K7T
Mapcode Global: VHB5J.L633
Entry Name: Wilsford House
Listing Date: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321539
Location: Wilsford cum Lake, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Wilsford cum Lake
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Valley with Archers Gate
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WILSFORD CUM LAKE WILSFORD
SU 13 NW
8/218 Wilsford House
House. 1904-6, by Detmar Blow, for Sir Edward Tennant (Lord
Glenconnor). Flint and chalkstone chequerwork, with stone slate
roofs. Rear wing similar but irregular chequerwork and thatched
roof. Two storeys, and tall attic storey. Rectangular plan with
inset central section on north-west and single storey service wing
to north-east, entrance side. Each facade has 3 steeply pitched
moulded gables terminating in trefoiled finials to attic storey.
North-west has a low central 6-panelled door with monolithic lintel
inscribed ET 1906 and 3-light overlight flanked by windows in the
recessed section. Four-light stone-mullioned and transomed
windows with rebated chamfers and no labels throughout. South-
west front has central oriel with central half-round glazed light
set over secondary entrance. South-east front has half-glazed
panelled door and segmental canopy on carved consoles. Ashlar
stacks. Service wing has irregular windows and 3 flush dormers.
Interior: North-west door leads to large reception hall opening to
an open well stair to rear, a handsome wide structure of late C17
design with heavy handrail and baluster newels - in limed oak, said
to have been reconstructed from an imported stair.
Shallow arches with finials. Dining room to right of hall has
coved ceiling and marble fireplace. Corridor to south door has
groined plaster vaults. Rooms to south-east front also have
marble fireplaces. Secondary stair has counter turned spiral
balusters, also in limed oak, and varied panelling throughout.
First floor rooms have cornices and marble fireplaces. Attics
constructed of heavy quasi-crucks and king posts of oak, set at
right angles at each corner of building providing round circulation
from top of great stair. Wall construction approximately lm
thick, carrying solid floors, perhaps of fire resisting concrete as
The building is one of the few surviving relatively unaltered works
by Detmar Blow, who was related to his client. It is a prime
example of his careful and finely detailed design. It was
inherited by the Hon. Stephen Tennant (1906-1987), poet, painter
and aesthete, in 1927 and decorated by him and his friends for his
circle, which included E.M. Forster, Virginia Woolf, and Siegfried
Sassoon. The interior decor is a unique and splendid reflection
of the man and his times.
Country Life, 29th Sept 1906; Recent English Domestic Architecture,
1908) 1. 7, 57-9. J. Franklin: The Gentleman's Country House
and its Plan, (1981), 33, 64 and 269.)
Listing NGR: SU1341939741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings