History in Structure

The Old Grammar School and Grammar School House and Attached Wall and Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirby Hill, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.4544 / 54°27'15"N

Longitude: -1.785 / 1°47'5"W

OS Eastings: 414037

OS Northings: 506577

OS Grid: NZ140065

Mapcode National: GBR HJZX.BZ

Mapcode Global: WHC65.K96J

Plus Code: 9C6WF638+Q2

Entry Name: The Old Grammar School and Grammar School House and Attached Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 19 December 1951

Last Amended: 4 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131319

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322749

ID on this website: 101131319

Location: Kirby Hill, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Kirby Hill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: School building House

Find accommodation in
Kirby Hill


(north side)

18/48 The Old Grammar School
and Grammar School House
(formerly listed as The
Master's House and The
19.12.51 Grammar School) and
attached wall and


School and Hospital, later School and Master's House, the School partly
converted into a holiday flat, the Master's House now a house; attached wall
and railings. Main range c1556, for Rev John Dakyn, with early C18 addition
to house, early C19 wall and railings. Rubble, partly coursed; stone slate
roofs; wrought-iron railings. Main range: 2 storeys with partial attic and
partial basement; 2-bay Master's House to left with C18 front range and with
entry in left return; 3-bay school on right. Elevation to The Green:
Master's House, to left, C18 range of coursed rubble with quoins and 16-pane
sash windows in ashlar surrounds, formerly with flat-faced mullions;
between the first-floor windows a sundial; shaped kneelers; ashlar coping;
end stacks. Recessed to left of house: single-storey porch with quoins to
left, board door and ashlar coping to left. School has, from left: blocked
ashlar surround of doorway; board door in ashlar surround with 6-pane window
over, and first-floor 3-light mullion window with round-arched lights and
indented spandrels; 16-pane ground-floor sash window in ashlar surround with
blocked fire window to its right, and on first floor a chamfered vent and
2-light matching mullion window with the school bell above; external stack
with cornice and C19 stable of 2 lower storeys projecting from it and not of
special interest. In front of house, low wall of coursed rubble with canted
coping, supporting plain railings with pointed bars; the wall rises in
height and has triangular coping to curve round and return to school to
right, sweeping up towards school. Rear: quoins to left and ashlar coping
to right; projecting gabled stair turret with blocked first-floor vent on
right return; blocked basement 2-light round-arched mullion window; stepped
buttress; ground-floor 2-light chamfered mullion window with internal
stanchions; 2 first-floor chamfered vents; stepped buttress; ground-floor
2-light chamfered mullion window with internal stanchions; ground-floor
16-pane fixed-light window in ashlar surround; first-floor 4-light mullion
window with round-arched lights and indented spandrels; 16-pane sash dormer
window; ground-floor 2-light chamfered mullion window; ground-floor 2-light
chamfered mullion window below C19 sash window with. glazing bars to
staircase; 2-light first-floor mullion window with round-arched lights and
indented spandrels; 16-pane ground-floor sash window in ashlar surround;
round-arched ground-floor window, and above it a pedimented surround to a
tablet inscribed in commemoration of Rev Robert Blackett of Durham d1829,
above that a 4-pane sash window in early C18 ashlar surround, and above that
a 16-pane sash window; ashlar coping; end stack. Right return (school):
stepped buttresses flank a C20 20-pane sash window on each floor, with
4-pane fixed-light window in surround of 2-light chamfered mullion window in
gable. Right return (house): door of 6 fielded panels below 4-pane
overlight in ashlar surround; first-floor, 16-pane sash window. Left return
(house): to C18 range, 2 ground-floor round-arched windows; to C16 range,
single-storey porch built around external stack which is extended on corbels
at first-floor level. Interior: house has doors and doorlinings of 6
fielded panels; recess in room to front left was probably the original
doorway; early C19 dogleg staircase with stick balusters and turned newels:
in the stair turret at the rear of the School, winder staircase. The School
and blaster's House were founded, with the Hospital of St John the Baptist,
by Rev John Dakyn DD, rector of the parish and one of Henry VIII's
Commissioners who inquired into the income of the religious houses, also one
of Queen Mary's persecutors of Protestant martyrs. T Bulmer, History,
Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), pp 466-467; VCH i, p
97, W White, History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings
of Yorkshire, (1840), pp 651-652.

Listing NGR: NZ1403706578

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.