This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4806 / 54°28'50"N
Longitude: -1.5572 / 1°33'25"W
OS Eastings: 428790
OS Northings: 509557
OS Grid: NZ287095
Mapcode National: GBR KJKM.PM
Mapcode Global: WHC63.1NS0
Entry Name: Croft Hall
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131334
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322683
Location: Croft-on-Tees, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL2
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Croft-on-Tees
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Croft
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
CROFT-ON-TEES RICHMOND ROAD
10/44 Croft Hall
Manor house. Probably C15 in origin, and probably rebuilt in late C16,
classicised in early C18, altered c1845. C15 work for Sir Richard Clervaux,
C16 work for Christopher Chaytor, early C18 work for William Chaytor; C19
work for Sir William Chaytor, probably by Ignatius Bonomi. Roughcast over
red sandstone rubble with painted ashlar dressings; C20 clay pantile roof.
Formerly U-shaped, now L-shaped with rear wing to right; other additions to
rear and rear left not of special interest. 3 storeys, main range of
4 bays. Chamfered plinth. Chamfered rusticated quoins. Central 8-panel
door below overlight with decorative glazing bars in keyed surround with
bases. Sash windows with glazing bars and crown glass in keyed surrounds,
the second-floor windows half-size and of 6-panes. Coped parapet partly
masking hipped roof with dormer window. Small brick stack at left end;
large old stack between first and second bays partly demolished. Rear of
wing: 1 bay; on ground and first floors, a tripartite window with keyed
surround; on second floor a 6-pane sash in keyed surround. Right return: 2
bays, on ground floor to left, French window below overlight in keyed
surround, with blind sash window in keyed surround above on first floor and
4-pane sash in keyed surround on second floor; lead rainwater pipe and
hopper head draining roof valley; stack between bays; in second bay, on
ground and first floors, a tripartite window, sashes with glazing bars in
ashlar surround, and on second floor two 4-pane windows in keyed surrounds.
Interior: ground-floor doors off central hall have 6 reeded panels; C19
curving open well staircase, formerly with stick balusters, now has C20
turned balusters. Blocked 4-light mullion internal window, noted on former
list description, has been removed. Main range is only one room deep, and
had very large chimney between first and second bays. A new chamber was
added to Croft Hall by John Clervaux d1443, whose bequests to his son
Richard included a hanging and canopy of arras for the dais in the hall.
Richard Clervaux set up a private chapel there licensed in 1453, and may
have carried out further improvements. His descendant Elizabeth married
Christopher Chaytor, a merchant adventurer of Newcastle, whose son Anthony
inherited Croft in 1590. It has remained in the Chaytor family since,
although the seat was abandoned when Sir William Chaytor built Clervaux
Castle nearby, to designs by Ignatius Bonomi, 1842-3 (demolished 1951).
A J Pollard, "Richard Clervaux of Croft", Yorkshire Archaeological Journal
(1978), pp 51-175; VCH i, p 163.
Listing NGR: NZ2879009559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings