This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4261 / 54°25'33"N
Longitude: -1.7275 / 1°43'39"W
OS Eastings: 417776
OS Northings: 503442
OS Grid: NZ177034
Mapcode National: GBR JKC8.S4
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.F0LP
Entry Name: Chapel Range
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Last Amended: 4 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322711
Location: Aske, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Aske
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Easby with Brompton on Swale and Bolton on Swale
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 10 SE ASKE ASKE PARK
10/9 Chapel range
(formerly listed as Old
Stable Court Range at
4.2.69 Aske Hall)
Stables, now chapel, flat and storage. 1763, with alterations of 1887. By
John Carr for Sir Lawrence Dundas, 1887 work by Thomas Oliver of Newcastle
for the 3rd Earl of Zetland. Ashlar sandstone, Westmorland slate roof.
2 storeys with a basement to the south side. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, the single
bays projecting slightly and rising into turrets with an extra storey.
North elevation: plinth. Ground floor: continuous rounded arcade with
archivolts and impost band, all now infilled in matching stonework with
central, leaved, C19 6-panel door below 4-pane overlight in architrave with
pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice; the other bays each with sash
window with glazing bars and joggled lintel. First floor: 8-pane sash
windows with joggled lintels. Modillion cornice. Balustraded parapet
between the turrets, continues blind across them. Hipped roof to main
range. Turrets have an oculus and hipped roof. Rear: basement has, in
first turret, a doorway with flat arch flanked on each side by 2 sash
windows with glazing bars, the rest blank. Arcaded main floor has in each
bay a sash window with glazing bars with joggled lintel. Attic storey has
6-pane sash windows with joggled lintels, the cornice, parapet and turrets
as north-west side. Left return: made apsidal when chapel formed, and with
matching attic windows. Interior: chapel to left of entrance in Italianate
style with marble dado and paired Corinthian pilasters, ornate cornice, and
classical window surrounds with stained-glass "shutters"; the ceiling is a
barrel vault divided into bays by decorated arches, and with side
intersecting vaults from attic windows and triple vault over apsidal
liturgical east (actually north-east) end. The interior achieves a most
successful conversion into a private chapel. John Harris, "The Dundas
Empire", Apollo magazine, September 1967. In front of the north-west
elevation is a cobbled forecourt.
Listing NGR: NZ1777603442
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings