History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleasby, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.5124 / 54°30'44"N

Longitude: -1.6166 / 1°36'59"W

OS Eastings: 424919

OS Northings: 513074

OS Grid: NZ249130

Mapcode National: GBR KJ48.T6

Mapcode Global: WHC5W.4VG3

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 18 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131360

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322648

Location: Cleasby, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL2

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Cleasby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cleasby with Stapleton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

NZ 21 SW
4/9 Church of St Peter


Church. Rebuilt, incorporating some earlier fabric, in 1828, restored and
refitted 1878. Sandstone ashlar, Westmorland slate roofs. 4-bay nave with
west porch and bellcote, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave: stepped
buttresses at ends and centre; two 2-light pointed-arched windows with
Y-tracery and hoodmoulds; eaves band; ashlar coping; 2-light gabled west
belfry. North side of older fabric, cobbled, and with some carved stones;
2 matching windows. West end: stepped buttresses flanking gabled porch with
board leaved door in pointed-arched opening under hoodmould and similar
inner doorway having Y-traceried, leaded overlight, band at eaves level;
blind quatrefoil in gable. Chancel: 1 matching window, eaves band, ashlar
coping to right; 3-light matching east window. Interior: 4-centred double-
chamfered chancel arch with label on octagonal responds; early C20 ashlar
low chancel screen incorporating pulpit and reading desk, all pierced with
Gothic tracery; ashlar walls to chancel; scissor-truss roofs; retooled C13
font on newer plinth, having square bowl with roll moulding at angles and
edges, and on each face a quatrefoil; on south wall of nave, tablet
recording augmentation of perpetual curacy under Queen Anne's Bounty in
1816, also by John Robinson, Lord Bishop of London, who was born in Cleasby;
in south window of chancel, C18 yellow enamelled glass, formerly in the west
window of Bristol Cathedral, inserted there in 1710 in memory of John
Robinson, Bishop of Bristol, and moved to Cleasby in 1906. VCH i, pp 158-

Listing NGR: NZ2491913074

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.