This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3882 / 54°23'17"N
Longitude: -1.6995 / 1°41'58"W
OS Eastings: 419610
OS Northings: 499228
OS Grid: SE196992
Mapcode National: GBR JKKP.VQ
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.VYWV
Entry Name: Colburn Hall
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322365
Location: Colburn, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL9
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Colburn
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hipswell St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 19 NE
Manor house. Range dated 1662 added to an earlier range at right angles.
Rubble, stone slate roof. T-shaped plan, 2 storeys, 1:3 first-floor
windows, range to right with continuous rear outshut. Quoins. Right range
(later): central oak board door with glazed panel in slightly-chamfered
ashlar surround with hood-mould. Above, square stone carved with coat of
arms of D'Arcy family, flanked by scrolls, dating from 1621 and brought from,
Sedbury Hall near Gilling West. 16-pane sash windows with pointed-arch
glazing bars to top row of panes, below deep lintels. To left, on first
floor, part of stone surrounds to 2 tall, narrow windows shown in that
position in Samuel Buck's sketch. Gable-end elevation of left range: on
ground floor, C20 4-light casement window under segmental-pointed relieving
arch; on first floor, 16-pane sash window with deep lintel, set within wider
opening of quoined jambs under segmental-pointed relieving arch; blocked 2-
light double-chamfered mullion window in gable. Shaped kneelers (of earlier
form on west range), ashlar copings, C20 replacement finials. Stacks
between first and second bays and at end right. Rear: later range has two
2-light chamfered mullion windows in outshut, that to right without
mullion . Left return (earlier range): blocked first-floor doorway at right
end; corniced stack from first-floor fireplace towards left; stack from
ground-floor fireplace towards right. Right return (later range): older
roofline of lower building than present (as shown on Samuel Buck's sketch);
kneelers dated "16" and "62", probably reused when roof raised. Interior:
in ground-floor room to right, late C18 basket-arched ashlar surround for
kitchen range, and ogee-stop-chamfered cross-beams and some chamfered
joists; ogee-stop-chamfered spine beams in central ground-floor room; in
left range, rougher chamfered cross-beams and bible box cavity in east wall
of front room. The hall is part of the medieval complex which includes the
former Courthouse (qv) and which is shown on a sketch of "Cowburn" in Samuel
Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook (Wakefield Historical Publications, 1979),
p 382. VCH; i, p 301.
Listing NGR: SE1961099228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings