This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4019 / 54°24'6"N
Longitude: -1.728 / 1°43'40"W
OS Eastings: 417755
OS Northings: 500746
OS Grid: NZ177007
Mapcode National: GBR JKCJ.PT
Mapcode Global: WHC6D.FMC9
Entry Name: St Martins Priory Ruins
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322179
Location: St. Martin's, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: St. Martin's
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Richmond with Holy Trinity with Hudswell
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
ST MARTIN'S A 6136
NZ 10 SE (east side)
4/113 St Martin's Priory Ruins
Marked on Ordnance Survey Map as Remains of St Martin's Priory
(Benedictine). Ruins of small medieval monastic house. C12, or possibly
earlier, and C15. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Medieval plan
indeterminate, as some of the stone has been reused for field and garden
walls but main ruins are a tower-like structure, possibly a gatehouse, and
the western section of rectilinear structure, probably the church, linked by
a wall. Tower: C15. 3 storeys, 1 bay. Quoins. West elevation: coursed
rubble to lowest storey, with double-chamfered pointed-arch doorway with
continuous moulding and label; first-floor chamfered cross window (the
mullions a C19 restoration); second-floor vent. Crenellated C19 restoration
of roofline has replaced original pitched roof, the kneelers of which
remain. Left return: buttress to left. Right return: single-light first-
floor window; second-floor vent; lean-to addition containing stone spiral
staircase with access in rear wall. Interior: rubble barrel-vault to
ground-floor chamber which has, in left and right walls, a tiny vent with
very deeply-splayed reveals. Church: rubble walls of C12, or possibly
earlier. West elevation: round-arched doorway of 2 chevroned orders, 1
formerly shafted, with weathered scalloped capitals. Above, a C15
segmental-arched window with fragments of 3 lights with Perpendicular
tracery. Left return: remains of stepped buttresses at both ends of
surviving wall, and matching Perpendicular window at a lower level. On
right return, upper part of hollow-chamfered pointed-arched doorway. The
wall between church and tower contains a segmental-arched doorway. St
Martin's Farmhouse to the west, not included in the listing, with a
medieval-looking buttress, and the surround of a 2-light mullion window on
the north end, may represent a guesthouse. In 1100, land and a chapel
dedicated to St Martin were given by Wymar, Steward to the Earl of Richmond,
to St Mary's Abbey in York, which made St Martin's a Cell under a Prior.
Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. VCH i, p 307.
Listing NGR: NZ1776700755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings