History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 1 the Old Post Office, and 2 and 3, Main Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Threshfield, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0679 / 54°4'4"N

Longitude: -2.017 / 2°1'1"W

OS Eastings: 398985

OS Northings: 463554

OS Grid: SD989635

Mapcode National: GBR GPCD.4J

Mapcode Global: WHB6V.Z0PS

Entry Name: No 1 the Old Post Office, and 2 and 3, Main Street

Listing Date: 23 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132098

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324868

Location: Threshfield, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Threshfield

Built-Up Area: Threshfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Grassington

Listing Text

SD 9863-9963
9/111

THRESHFIELD
MAIN STREET (east side)
Nos. 1 (the Old Post Office), 2 and 3.

GV
II
Row of three houses. C17, No. 1 dated 1651, with mid C18 and late C19
alterations. Gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. two storeys, five first-floor windows. Quoins. The facade is divided down the centre by a row of quoins dividing the right-hand pair of houses (Nos. 2 and 3) from the left.

Left range: board door in narrow quoined opening with three-centred head and " W 1651 H" in raised letters. A three-light flat-faced mullion window to left on ground and first floors; a six-pane shop window built into a blocked quoined segmental-arched cart entrance and a four-pane sash left again to ground floor and two four-pane sashes above. Range to right: a mirrored pair of cottages with board doors in plain surrounds with large lintels to left and right, two three-light flat-faced mullion windows between, on each floor. Stone gutter brackets overall, four ridge stacks: to left of the mullion windows; in line with the division between Nos. 1 and 2; between Nos. 2 and 3; and to right gable. Interior not inspected at resurvey.

Nos. 2 and 3 were probably the C17 farmhouse, and No. 1 a barn and byre range, dated 1651 and possibly built by a member of the Hewitt or Hammond families, major landowners in Threshfield in the C17. The division of the property into three cottages in the C18 corresponds with the need for accommodation for miners from Grassington at that time.


Listing NGR: SD9898563554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.