History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Armistad Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Litton, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.1634 / 54°9'48"N

Longitude: -2.1475 / 2°8'51"W

OS Eastings: 390465

OS Northings: 474191

OS Grid: SD904741

Mapcode National: GBR FNF9.V8

Mapcode Global: WHB66.ZMJ3

Entry Name: Armistad Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324710

Location: Litton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Litton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)

20/123 Armistad Farmhouse


House. Dated 1734 with C17 remains and mid-late C19 refenestration.
Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys
with attic, 3 x 1½ bays. Quoins. Central 6-panel door in plain surround
with entablature and moulded cornice, stone plaque with lettering " R A "
above. 4-pane sashes in slightly projecting sawn stone surrounds. Stone
gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, moulded gable copings, corniced end
stacks. Rear: sawn stone surround to stair window, otherwise recessed
chamfered mullion windows; a mullion and transom window to half cellar,
left, and a 2-light window to cellar, centre. Right return: the lower
walling is of less well dressed stone, indicating the C17 structure, raised
in smaller stones. To first floor, right, a 4-pane sash in C18 ashlar
architrave; a similar surround to a smaller 6-pane gable window. Interior:
narrow entrance hall; inserted partition wall between hall and living room,
left. Large fireplace with segmental tripartite arch with joggled joints
and incised in imitation of voussoirs. Parlour to front right: a fine
built-in cupboard in centre of rear wall, of pine, with fluted-pilasters,
keyed round arch to surround, fielded panel doors, ribbed coving to
interior and shaped shelves. Rear room, right: dairy with stone shelves; a
timber partition with reused C17 panelling between dairy and central stair-
well. Fine staircase of 3 straight flights, the lower 5 steps of stone;
knopped balusters and moulded handrail. Window shutters and 6-panel doors.
First floor: access to the attic storey, far left. The C17 house was of 2
bays with large fireplace to living room/kitchen left, unheated parlour
right and dairy under a rear outshut. The 1734 alterations included
raising the house to 2 full storeys with attic, and building an extra room
onto the rear left. The central door opened directly into the living room
and a fireplace was put into the parlour - the probable surround now reset
upstairs. The staircase, built-in cupboard and architraves to right return
also belong to this period. C19 alterations included partitioning the
living room to form an entrance passage, refenestration and enlargement of
the doorway.

Listing NGR: SD9046574191

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.