History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Kildwick, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9092 / 53°54'33"N

Longitude: -1.9841 / 1°59'2"W

OS Eastings: 401144

OS Northings: 445893

OS Grid: SE011458

Mapcode National: GBR GRL7.7D

Mapcode Global: WHB7N.H0FG

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324746

Location: Kildwick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Kildwick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kildwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Low Bradley

Listing Text

(north side, off)

1/19 Church of St Andrew



Church. C14, extended C16 -C17, repaired and re-ordered 1864-75 and
extensively restored 1901-03. Coursed squared large sandstone blocks to
tower and nave clerestory, gritstone rubble to north and south aisles and
east end. Graduated stone slate roofs; cast-iron clock face, wrought-iron
weather vane. 2-stage west tower, 6-bay nave with north and south aisles
continuous with the 4-bay chancel; shallow-pitched roof to south aisle,
providing a full-length clerestory; south porch to nave west end. Tower:
of 2 stages with angle buttresses, slightly projecting stair turret to
south-east corner; west door in double chamfered arch and 3-light
perpendicular-style window above, both restored 1860; small trefoil-headed
niche below the belfry window which is of 2 lights with Perpendicular
tracery to each face. Corbelled embattled parapet. Large clock face on
south side with raised border inscription in capitals: "The gift of W.
Currer of Steeton/ late citizen of London 1709/ Renewed by subscription/
Redeem the time/ 1828." The ornate weather vane above the stair turret has
C and S scrolls, pennant and ball finial. Nave: 1873, south porch in
Gothic style with double-chamfered arch, niche above, moulded parapet
coping and clasping buttresses; the 4 westerly south aisle windows have 2
or 3 trefoil-headed lights, originally in pointed arches which were
truncated when the south aisle roof was lowered, 2 have the remains of hood
moulds. The easterly nave and 3 chancel windows are square-headed with 3
round-headed lights and cavetto-moulded mullions. Similar shallow windows
of 2 and 3 lights to clerestory, renewed 1901-03. At the east end of the
chancel south aisle a 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window close to
ground level, 2 lights blocked, the left light retaining its iron grille.
Board door in ogee-headed doorway to chancel, far left; a large square
sundial above with the inscription, "Howarth Currer Arm/Dono Dedit/ 1729"
A blocked square-headed doorway with chamfered quoins and large lintel to
the centre of the south nave aisle, to right of a change in the building
line of the clerestory wall. 3 solid buttresses to nave aisle, 1 stepped
buttress to chancel aisle. North side: the aisle roof is continuous with
that of the nave and chancel; moulded pointed arch to nave north door;
fenestration similar to north side but probably restored C19 - C20. East
end: large 7-light window without tracery in a shallow pointed arch with
hoodmould, flanked by buttresses. Square-headed south aisle east window of
3 segmental-headed lights; north aisle window similar, restored 1901-03. A
blocked 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window below the south aisle
window. Interior: 4 quatrefoil piers to nave arcades, west end; the
remaining piers to nave and chancel are octagonal, 2 to nave having half-
round attached columns. No chancel arch. Tie-beam roof trusses. A piscina
in the nave south wall with a blocked doorway to left which has a reused
memorial stone carved with a C12 St. Andrews cross as a lintel. Font at
west end of nave: base restored, C15 octagonal bowl carved with the symbols
of the crucifixion and finely carved C19 3-tier cover, probably a replica
of the C14 original. C16 and C17 reset screens and pews with linen-fold
panelling and mouldings, dates include 1633 and 1681; the fine box pew of
the Fox family in the north aisle has turned balusters to the top rail
and cock's head hinges. C10 cross fragments displayed in the south aisle
were discovered in the 1901 rebuilding of the chancel south side. Effigy
of Sir Robert de Styveton (Steeton) dated 1307 but probably mid C14 in
style, repositioned in 1854, now in nave north aisle, west end. History:
the church belonged to the canons of Bolton Abbey who established a grange
nearby and built the bridge (q.v.); the vicars date back to 1272. There
are earlier remains but the C14 church is represented by the tower, south
windows, quatrefoil piers, de Styveton tomb (originally between the most
easterly quatrefoil piers of the north aisle) and the piscina. The
easterly extension was probably in 2 phases - the C15 and after the
Dissolution (1539). Henry VIII granted Kildwick to Christ Church, Oxford
and the C16 -C17 developments are reroofing (the earlier steep pitch
visible on the tower east side), fitting of pews including that of the Fox
family in the north aisle and the screens, together with the Spencer vault
built at the east end of the south aisle of which 2 windows remain. C18
work appears to have been largely cosmetic - the Currer family chapel in
the north aisle, sundial, clock, and a plaster ceiling was constructed
below the roof timbers, the west door widened in 1770 to allow the storage
of the hearse. By the early C19 the structure was in need of repair but
alterations continued; a west gallery was built in 1824, the font cover
broken up to make a set of dining chairs, the base of the tower was disused
and rubbish left in it; several new sets of pews were installed during the
mid C19. The west end was remodelled in 1868-75 - the gallery removed and
the font cover replaced, porch rebuilt, west door and window of tower
restored. Meanwhile the chancel end appears to have been neglected and it
is at the eastern end that the 1901-03 restoration began. Rev E. W.
Brereton, History of the Ancient and Historic Church of St. Andrew, 1909.
T.D. Whitaker, History and Antiquitities of the Deanery of Craven, 1805,
3rd edition 1878, p209.

Listing NGR: SE0114445893

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.