This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0912 / 54°5'28"N
Longitude: -2.0345 / 2°2'4"W
OS Eastings: 397837
OS Northings: 466139
OS Grid: SD978661
Mapcode National: GBR GP74.B5
Mapcode Global: WHB6N.QFCH
Entry Name: Chapel House Farmhouse with Attached Outbuilding
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324643
Location: Conistone with Kilnsey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 96 NE CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY B6160
16/56 Chapel House Farm-
house with attached
Farmhouse with stable and hayloft, now house and garage. Dated 1774,
probably for Thomas Tennant of Chapel House (q.v.) Limestone rubble,
gritstone dressings, graduated stone slate roof. 2-storey, 3-bay house
with lower 2-storey outbuilding to left. Rusticated quoins and plinth.
Central half-glazed C20 door in sawn stone surround, the date stone above
the door inscribed " T " with the date "1774" below. A triangular hood
above the door is formed from 2 pitched stone slabs. Flanking and first-
floor tripartite flat-faced mullion windows with plate glass sashes. Blind
window above door. All windows with slightly raised surrounds and
projecting sills. Stone gutter brackets, moulded kneelers, gable copings,
corniced end stacks. Lead down-pipe to right of entrance, the fluted
hopper head with "I T 1779" in raised letters. Outbuilding to left:
quoins, 2 slit vents to each storey, stone gutter brackets, rubble walling
rendered. Moulded kneeler and gable coping with ball finial to left.
Rear, house: a central half-glazed door as front; chamfered lintel and ..
solid jambs; flanking and first-floor 4-pane sashes in plain stone
surrounds; a round-arched stair window with glazing bars above the door.
Rear of outbuilding: as front. Left return (outbuilding): a cart entrance
with voussoirs to segmental arch overlain by C20 sliding garage doors to
left: a round-arched doorway with board stable door and blocked overlight
to right, the jambs and voussoirs of well-tooled ashlar. An inserted 2-
light window to ground floor, centre. Circular pitching eye to first-floor
centre. Interior (of house): the rear door opens into a staircase hall:
stairs of 2 straight flights with half landing, the balusters of cup and
column form having finely moulded principal balusters and handrail. 2
fielded panel doors open into front rooms, not seen at resurvey.
Listing NGR: SD9783766139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings