History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Gledstone

A Grade II* Listed Building in Martons Both, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.9529 / 53°57'10"N

Longitude: -2.1796 / 2°10'46"W

OS Eastings: 388313

OS Northings: 450770

OS Grid: SD883507

Mapcode National: GBR FQ6Q.XR

Mapcode Global: WHB75.HXB0

Entry Name: Old Gledstone

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Last Amended: 31 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324509

Location: Martons Both, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Martons Both

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1/131 Old Gledstone (formerly
listed as Old Gledstone
10.9.54 House Stables)


Stable block, now estate office and house, c.1770. Probably by john Carr of York.
Ashlar to the front, squared dressed stone to sides and rear, brick to the courtyard
and hipped slate roof. On plan the building is square outside and circular
inside. Two storeys. The front is of nine bays, symmetrical about the central
round-headed entry, which is repeated to either side as a blind arcade, but
pierced by windows except in the end bays. The third and seventh bays, break
forward slightly under pediments. Square windows above with plain reveals and
casements. The rear is also symmetrical and of nine bays, but here the repeated
unit is a simple doorway,and the fourth and sixth bays only have segmental-arched
entries. Circular breathers are aligned above the four outer doorways, and
tripartite windows above the entries. The south side has a stone consoled cornice
over its central doorway, which like the one opposite in the courtyard was salvaged
from Gledstone Hall, demolished 1928. The courtyard has a continuous arcade
of 16 elliptical arches with stone bases and imposts. Simple cambered heads
to the pitch holes above. Spur stones at the cardinal points. One bay is filled
in to make the front door of the house (1970s) and there is an iron balcony
over two adjacent bays. Off the entry passage a stable still retains stone
posts, to the stalls. Over the entry there is a square base with a clock,surmounted
by a hemispherical dome, ball and weathervane on twelve Doric columns.

Listing NGR: SD8831350770

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.