This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0887 / 54°5'19"N
Longitude: -2.3432 / 2°20'35"W
OS Eastings: 377650
OS Northings: 465922
OS Grid: SD776659
Mapcode National: GBR DP25.H2
Mapcode Global: WH95C.ZHCC
Entry Name: Lawkland Hall and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324208
Location: Lawkland, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA2
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lawkland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Austwick The Epiphany
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 76 NE
8/57 Lawkland Hall and
Large house. Late C16 west wing for Yorke family, with late C17 hall and east
wing and east service range, mid C18 alterations, restored 1912-1914 by J N Ambler.
Squared rubble, stone dressings, stone slate roof. Double ended hall plan.
2 storeys, 3 bays hall, left-hand projecting 2 storeys, 1 bay gabled service
wing and right-hand projecting 3 storeys 1 bay gabled wing. Hall: central entrance
has moulded surround, decorated lintel and C17 softwood door with applied moulding.
Ingleby coat of arms above. All windows have leaded lights: 2 ground floor and
3 upper floor cross windows with cavetto mullions and transoms, dripmould to
ground floor, hoodmoulds to upper floor. Small circular window to right on both
floors. Right-hand iron rainwater head dated 1776. Central gabled dormer has
2-light double chamfered window and hoodmould. Gable coping to dormer, ball
finials to kneelers and apex. Wings have c1912 five-light mullioned and transomed
windows in ground and first floors. Left-hand wing has former 2-light double
chamfered window in gable, mullion now missing; hoodmould. Ball finials to kneelers,
finial base only to apex. Right-hand wing has rearranged 4 light double chamfered
window in second floor with king mullion and C20 lintel; hoodmould. 2 light
double chamfered mullioned window and hoodmould in gable. Crocketed finials
to kneelers and c1912 cross finial to apex which replaces original. Left-hand
gable end ridge stack, and ridge stack at junction of left-hand service wing
and hall. Rear includes 4 storey staircase tower with 2-light chamfered mullioned
window and hoodmould to second floor; upper 2 storeys project slightly on 4 stone
corbels with a 2-light chamfered mullioned window on both floors; hipped roof
with finials. 2 storey service range to right. Garden wall to east and west
of hall runs south to stream. Rubble c2.5 metres high.
Interior: contains late-C17 and mid-C18 panelling rearranged c.1912. Re-cut
lintel in hall inscribed
Reused late C17 dog-leg staircase in hall inserted c.1912; closed string, turned
balusters, moulded handrail. First floor retains c.1912 tiled bathroom with
fittings including sunken marble bath. Former chapel on second floor has chimney
flue rearranged to form supposed priest's hole. Late C16 spiral stone staircase
to tower leading to belvedere; exposed rafter inscribed ISI 1758 (J S Ingleby).
Hall roof has collared principals with king posts, trenched purlins and angle
struts. Roof of west wing reputed to have mid-C18 king posts with v struts and
carved braces. Hall owned by Ingleby family from late C17 until 1912.
Source: G Sanderson, Architectural Features of the Settle District (London,
Listing NGR: SD7765065922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings