This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.898 / 53°53'52"N
Longitude: -1.2926 / 1°17'33"W
OS Eastings: 446580
OS Northings: 444880
OS Grid: SE465448
Mapcode National: GBR MRDC.YF
Mapcode Global: WHDB8.39R1
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 12 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325988
Location: Newton Kyme cum Toulston, Selby, North Yorkshire, LS24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Newton Kyme cum Toulston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Newton Kyme St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 44 SE NEWTON-KYNE-CUM- NEWTON KYNE IIALL ESTATE
4/68 Church of St Andrew
Church. C12, C13, C14 with later additions. Magnesian limestone with stone
slate roof. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, and chancel
with north chapel. 2-stage tower: plinth. 2-light, straight, trefoil-
headed window. First floor band. Slit window to south. Trefoil-headed,
2-light bell openings. Band with gargoyles. Battlements. Porch: pointed
chamfered arch with incised figures in the chamfer of a cow, boar's head,
incised arms of Talbois and in relief, The Virgin and Child and a
St Andrew's cross. Pointed south doorway under hood-mould with stops.
Nave: to south side an ogee-headed window above porch, 2-light window with
plate tracery and elliptical-arched window. North aisle: a 2- and 3-light
window with Y-tracery. Chancel. South side: buttress to right. Trefoil-
headed priest's doorway with remains of incised Dials in jambs. 2-light
4-centred window under hood-mould with recut mullions. Round-headed windows
above door, 2 lancet window. North side: lancet window. North chapel: two
2-light windows with Y-tracery, and to east end a 3-light window with
Geometrical tracery to the head. East window: 3-light window with
Geometrical tracery to the head. Interior: double-chamfered, pointed-headed
tower arch. Late C13 nave arcade of 2 pointed arches with octagonal pier
and respond and double-shafted west respond cll50-1200. Double-chamfered
pointed chancel arch and part-blocked doorway between aisle and chapel.
Chancel: sedilia supported by cylindrical shaft. Piscina. Squint. C12
cylindrical font with C19 cover and base. Sculpted head on pedestal
inscribed on base 'JOHN / 1613 / FX' brought from Pateley Bridge in 1939.
C17 armorial shield, Barwick impaling Strickland. Wall monument to Robert
Fairfax d 1725. Wooden memorial to Katherine Stapilton d 1695.
G E Kirk, The Parish church of St Andrew, Newton Kyne, 1953.
Listing NGR: SE4657944881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings