This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7595 / 53°45'34"N
Longitude: -1.1582 / 1°9'29"W
OS Eastings: 455598
OS Northings: 429562
OS Grid: SE555295
Mapcode National: GBR NSCZ.12
Mapcode Global: WHDBX.5RRS
Entry Name: Gateforth Hall
Listing Date: 23 August 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325896
Location: Gateforth, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Gateforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hambleton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 52 NE GATEFORTH HALL ESTATE
7/35 Gateforth hall
Large house. 1814. For Humphrey Osbalderston. Gault brick with
magnesian limestone ashlar dressings, red brick basement to left, grey
slate roof and rendered stacks. Square on plan with central entrance
hall and service wing to right. 2 storeys with basement to sides and
rear, 3 bays of which the centre is a full-height, 3-window bow. Flight
of 4 curved ashlar steps encompass bow with broad top step carrying
portico of 4 giant Ionic columns supporting frieze, cornice and low
parapet. Shallow plinth around bow recessed at centre to form further
step to 6-panel door with fluted jambs under decorated rectangular
oblong fanlight and gauged brick flat arch. To either side a tall
narrow sash with glazing bars and apron under gauged brick flat arches.
First floor: central sash with glazing bars and outer tall, narrow
8-pane sashes under flat arches of rubbed brick and with stone cills.
All openings to bow are cambered to follow curve. Outer bays: ground
floor sash with glazing bars and apron resting on plinth and first floor
sash with glazing bars and stone cill all under gauged brick flat
arches. Cornice and low parapet conceal hipped flat-topped roof with
4 central stacks. Some original windows to sides. Service wing:
2 storeys and 7 first floor windows, many with original sashes with
glazing bars. Modillion brackets to eaves. Interior of main block has
many original features. Entrance hall has coffered arch to one side.
Inner full-height entrance hall has 2-storey screen of a pair of Ionic
columns supporting decorative frieze and cornice at first floor from
which rise a pair of Corinthian columns. Oak staircase with iron
balustrade enriched by anthemion motifs. Moulded ceiling with roof
light. Most 6-panel doors and fluted doorcases intact, shutters (now
fixed) to most windows, marble fireplace to hall and most first floor
rooms. Moulded decoration to most ground floor ceilings and master
bedroom. Morrell, W. W., The History and Antiquities of Selby, Selby
and London, 1867, p325. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, the West Riding, 1979,
Listing NGR: SE5559829562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings