This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3864 / 53°23'11"N
Longitude: -1.1579 / 1°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 456108
OS Northings: 388060
OS Grid: SK561880
Mapcode National: GBR NYC8.3S
Mapcode Global: WHDDV.54WQ
Entry Name: Farmbuilding at Park Hill Farm Immediately to West of Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132705
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335772
Location: Firbeck, Rotherham, S81
Civil Parish: Firbeck
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Firbeck with Letwell
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
FIRBECK PARK HILL DRIVE
Farmbuilding at Park
3/26 Hill Farm immediately
to west of farmhouse
Farmbuilding probably originally stables with part domestic use. Early C17.
Rubble limestone, pantile roof. 2-storey elongated range. South side (away
from farmhouse): Large quoins. Near-central passageway with basket arch has
chamfered ashlar door surround on left with 3-light double-chamfered window
under dripstone beyond, its mullions removed; 2 segmentally-arched window openings
to far left. On right of passage are external steps built across an original
quoined doorway, inserted doorway and casement on left of steps. 1st floor:
doorway above steps, total of 4 inserted casements, those on left larger. Raised
verges. Rear: passage entrance has wooden lintel; 2 intact 3-light double-
chamfered mullioned windows to 1st-floor on right; ashlar surrounds to slit
vents on left; other inserted openings. Left return: external steps to 1st-
Interior: collared principal-rafter trusses, double purlins with windbraces.
Most significant remaining building at Park Hill the centre of a major local
estate. Originally occupied by the Sanderson family in the C17; by 1765 home
of the St. Leger family, whose name is remembered in the famous horse race.
Their house was demolished in 1935.
C. Stocks, Firbeck and the Three Estates, 1979, pp 21-25.
Listing NGR: SK5610888060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings