This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.431 / 53°25'51"N
Longitude: -1.3567 / 1°21'24"W
OS Eastings: 442840
OS Northings: 392880
OS Grid: SK428928
Mapcode National: GBR LXZR.2T
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.4172
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335635
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK4892 CHURCH STREET
9/4 Church of All Saints
19.1 (formerly listed under
Church. C14 chancel heightened in C16, early C15 tower, rest completed late
C15 and early C16; C18 and C19 restorations principally that by George Gilbert
Scott of 1873-75. Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan : 4-bay
aisied nave with south porch, crossing tower and transepts, chancel with north
and south chapels and north vestry. Perpendicular : intersecting and panel
tracery, embattlements with crocketed pinnacles. Nave : chamfered plinth,
angle buttresses and buttresses between bays. 3 moulded bands beneath
transomed 4-light aisle windows with crocketed and finialled hoodmoulds.
Gabled porch to bay 2 has diagonal buttresses and miniature buttresses with
pinnacles flanking door. Unrestored south door within porch has angel corbels
to crocketed hood. North aisle: less restored and with well-carved hoodmoulds
depicting shepherds and their flocks. West door flanked by miniature pinnacled
buttresses and beneath blind panels. Transomed 7-light west window flanked by
buttresses and transomed 4-light aisle windows. 8 clerestorey windows of 3-
lights with hoodmoulds; buttresses with gargoyles and pinnacles between each
Transepts : 6-light windows to north and south, 3-light windows to east and
west, south door. Tower : pinnacled angle buttresses flank paired 4-light
belfry openings each with king mullion and 2 transoms, blind panels beneath
louvres. Gargoyles flank clock on each face. Recessed octagonal spire with
crocketed arrises and pinnacled shafts rising from corner faces, gilded weather-
Chancel : south chapel has two 4-light windows with uncusped lights, small
3-light window to eastern-most bay of chancel. North chapel has triangular
arches to treble-chamfered windows. Four clerestorey windows each with 3-
Tudor-arched lights beneath pointed arch. Buttresses flank transomed 7-light
east window with carved busts to hoodmould stops; gable niche and cross.
Interior : nave arcades have lozenge-shaped piers with 3 attached shafts to
nave and aisle sides; capitals with carved foliage and hidden faces beneath
embattled band; moulded arches. Heavily-moulded crossing arches with carved
capitals to the attached shafts. Earlier arcades to chapels have octagonal
piers and double-chamfered arches. Sedilia with 3 ogee-headed recesses, one
with squint into south chapel. Excellent C15 roof to nave with moulded members
and carved bosses. Early C16 roofs to chancel and south chapel. Early C15
fan-vaulting to crossing.
Fittings : excellent octagonal pulpit of 1604 with C18 sounding board with
cherubs and corona with dove. Font in south aisle c1879 has spire cover. C12
font in north aisle, weathered. Organ by Snetzler 1777 in north transept,
restored 1890. Excellent choir stalls with 2 misericords and figure-carved
bench ends depicting the Annunciation; also some freestanding benches with
traceried end panels. C15 canopied parclose screen with partitions south
chapel from transept; another restored section in north chapel arcade (both
probably from original rood screen).
Monuments : numerous wall monuments in south transept including that to
Samuel Buck d.1806, by Flaxman; another to 50 victims of a boat disaster
at Masborough in 1841 by Edwin Smith of Sheffield. Dresser tomb in north
chapel with excellent brass to Robert Swift (d.1561) and Anne (d.1539).
Many C17 and C18 brasses attached to piers of chancel and crossing.
Glass : east window by Clayton and Bell, designed by Scott. Other windows
by A. Gibbs, Camm Bros., Heaton, Butler and Bayne and James Bell (Pevsner,
N. Pevsner, BOE, 2nd Ed. 1967, pp 418-420.
Listing NGR: SK4283992876
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings