This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7907 / 53°47'26"N
Longitude: -1.8478 / 1°50'52"W
OS Eastings: 410121
OS Northings: 432724
OS Grid: SE101327
Mapcode National: GBR HSJL.RV
Mapcode Global: WHC97.LZ9B
Entry Name: Kipping Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336877
Location: Bradford, BD13
Electoral Ward/Division: Thornton and Allerton
Built-Up Area: Thornton (Bradford)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 MARKET STREET
Kipping Independent Chapel
SE 1032 39/844
1843 rebuilding of C18 chapel which replaced the original meeting house in the Barn,
Lower Kipping Lane qv, chartered by Charles II in 1672. The chapel, on a rectangular
plan, presents a 2 storey front of dressed sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings.
Simplified Greek Revival details. Three bays, the centre breaking forward slightly.
Broad quoin pilasters, plinth, plat band, bed mould to frieze and projecting cornice
broken over quoin pilasters. Hipped slate roof. Outer first floor windows have
battered eared architrave surrounds. The central window tripartite with pilasters
and entablature. Dated plaque set below. Ground floor has 2 light pilastered
windows with entablatures and large central porch of shallow projection. Doric
pilasters with rosettes to necking , deep frieze cornice and blocking course. Large
double doors with horizontal moulded panels. Plain 2 storey side elevations.
Galleried interior, the furnishings partly later C19.
Listing NGR: SE1012132724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings