This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8529 / 53°51'10"N
Longitude: -1.7644 / 1°45'51"W
OS Eastings: 415593
OS Northings: 439653
OS Grid: SE155396
Mapcode National: GBR JR3W.SL
Mapcode Global: WHC92.VFZ5
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337863
Location: Baildon, Bradford, BD17
Civil Parish: Baildon
Built-Up Area: Baildon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Baildon St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE1539NE BAILDON HALL CLIFFE LANE
11/11 Church of St. John
Church. 1848 by Mallinson and Healey (Bradford),south tower added
1928. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings, stone slate roof.
Nave, shallow chancel, south aisle partly embracing tower, west
porch. Simple Early English style with Perpendicular style tower.
Nave has 5 bays of lancets and single-light windows alternating with
a 2-light window, offset buttresses. West end has 2 lancets with
circular window above with cinquefoil. Coped gable with prominent
bellcote and clock. Single-bay chancel with lower roof has 3-light
lancet east window with hoodmould. South aisle under separate gabled
roof has 4 bays of lancets and 2-light east window with quatrefoil.
Coped gable surmounted by carved cross. Porch has pointed-arched
doorway with rollmoulding and colonnettes, hoodmould with carved-face
stops and decorative wrought-iron gates surmounted by copper cross.
Coped gable with kneelers. 3-stage embattled tower has plinth,
diagonal buttresses and vice set in junction with aisle. 2-light
windows to 1st and 3rd stage(belfry).
Interior: 5-bay nave with arch-braced roof with convex struts.
Open arcade to south aisle with pointed arches carried on octagonal
columns with moulded capitals,survivals from the earlier C14 church.
6-bay aisle, 1st bay occupied by organ, 5th bay opens into baptistry
retaining C14 octagonal font from earlier church. Rest gallery carried
on oak octagonal columns with linking shallow trefoils. Pointed
chancel arch with chamfer. 2-bay chancel roof.
Furnishings: Richly decorated wrought-iron chancel screen with gates
c1905. Finely carved reredos c1901. Stained glass: East window
representing the theme of charity. Other windows by Barnett, York
c1849. Renewed memorials from earlier church the finest in carved
marble to Paul Meyer,,a soldier, by Fisher of York c1763. Fine
funeral hatchment. Pulpit is Cl7 with carved oak panels: octagonal
on pedestal base with drop finials.
Listing NGR: SE1559339653
Other nearby listed buildings