History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Archway with Gates Approximately 10 Metres to North East of Number 1

A Grade II Listed Building in Toller, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8052 / 53°48'18"N

Longitude: -1.808 / 1°48'28"W

OS Eastings: 412738

OS Northings: 434342

OS Grid: SE127343

Mapcode National: GBR J5F.CH

Mapcode Global: WHC98.6M86

Entry Name: Archway with Gates Approximately 10 Metres to North East of Number 1

Listing Date: 3 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133604

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337362

Location: Bradford, BD9

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Toller

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Girlington St Philip

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Saltaire

Listing Text

1.
5111 CHELLOW LANE
(south-west side)
SE 1234 & SE 1334 Daisy Hill

26/464 Archway with gates approx.
10 metres to north-east of No 1
II

2.
Archway with gates. c.1887 for Sir James and Lady Hill. Ashlar Aishley stone;
wrought-iron gates. Tall, chamfered, round arch with north-west pier stepped buttress-
like; above it rises ogee-shaped gable with raised shield in tympanum, moulded and
gableted coping and crowned by representation of a throstles' ( song thrushes') nest
which has foliage-motif relief decoration and reportedly, inside it two birds carved
(not visible). Within archway are 2-leaf gates with side panels, the latter with
scrolled bars, the gates with flame-finialled dog bars and main bars terminating in
elaborate scrollwork; above this is rail of reels below top rail which is surmounted
by scrollwork with twists and spirals. On south-east side is a heavy gate-catch on
ground, that on north-west side removed. Originally this archway was at the entrance
of the carriage drive leading to Sir James and Lady Hill's house (demolished).


Listing NGR: SE1273834342

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.