This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7708 / 53°46'14"N
Longitude: -1.6689 / 1°40'8"W
OS Eastings: 421917
OS Northings: 430542
OS Grid: SE219305
Mapcode National: GBR JSSV.G0
Mapcode Global: WHC9J.BHH3
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 4 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337212
Location: Bradford, BD4
Electoral Ward/Division: Tong
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Laisterdyke and Tong St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 TONG LANE
Church of St James
SE 2130 61/110 4.9.52
Built in 1727 by Sir George Tempest close to the Hall, St James's incorporates
in its tower remains of the medieval parish church including a partially concealed
Norman window and the tracery of a Perpendicular one. The church is however
quite classical in design and appearance with a plain rectangular nave with
slightly narrower chancel and square tower at west end with quoin pilasters
cornice and parapet with carved urns surmounting 4 corners. The structure is of
local coursed gritstone with large quoins and broad squared window surrounds.
Tall plain round-headed windows with impost blocks and keystones. The doorway
arch moulded and with intersecting glazing pattern to fanlight. The windows
retain small leaded panes of greenish hue. Stone slate roofs with coping stones.
The interior is virtually unaltered and therefore a rare survival. The double
chamfered arches of the north arcade may be re-used, medieval work.
Tuscan column arcade, band vaulted ceiling. All furnishings intact with west
gallery, box pews, squire and parson's pews, 3 decker pulpit and communion rail.
Important example of estate church closely related to the Hall.
Listing NGR: SE2191730541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings