History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Great Northern Public House and Adjoining Coach House to Right

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornton and Allerton, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.791 / 53°47'27"N

Longitude: -1.8558 / 1°51'20"W

OS Eastings: 409595

OS Northings: 432748

OS Grid: SE095327

Mapcode National: GBR HSHL.0S

Mapcode Global: WHC97.GZH4

Entry Name: The Great Northern Public House and Adjoining Coach House to Right

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337202

Location: Bradford, BD13

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Thornton and Allerton

Built-Up Area: Thornton (Bradford)

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thornton St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Thornton

Listing Text

1.
5111 THORNTON ROAD
Thornton BD13

The Great Northern
Public House and
adjoining coach house
to right
SE 0932 38/1093

II


2.
Built as a railway hotel circa 1876-78. A surprisingly richly detailed
Italianate-Renaissance design for a conventional 3 bay 2-storey elevation of
this kind. Sandstone "brick" with finely masoned ashlar dressings. Plinth,
rusticated quoins, frieze and moulded eaves cornice. Gable end slate roof
with saddlestones and flanking chimneys with moulded cornices. The first
floor windows have moulded architrave surrounds and cambered heads with
archivolt arches. The central window architrave is eared with a faceted key-
stone to the arch. The ground floor windows have coupled arched lights, flanking
pilasters and dividing colonettes with foliate caps, archivolt arches with richly
carved garland console keystone. Consoles to moulded sills on both floors. The
central doorway has inner pilasters supporting archivolt arch with enriched
keystone as on windows, and flanking pilasters with Composite capitals
containing male and female heads. The entablature above has a dentil cornice.
Extending to the right of the hotel proper is a 2-storey coach house with
bracketed eaves cornice to slate roof. Four archivolt arched first floor
windows with linking impost string.


Listing NGR: SE0959532748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.