History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bean Hole Head Farmhouse and Attached Barn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Todmorden, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.721 / 53°43'15"N

Longitude: -2.077 / 2°4'37"W

OS Eastings: 395016

OS Northings: 424961

OS Grid: SD950249

Mapcode National: GBR FTYD.4V

Mapcode Global: WHB8D.2Q7R

Entry Name: Bean Hole Head Farmhouse and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 22 November 1966

Last Amended: 22 February 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133763

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339070

Location: Todmorden, Calderdale, OL14

County: Calderdale

Civil Parish: Todmorden

Built-Up Area: Todmorden

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Todmorden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Todmorden

Listing Text

SD 92SE TODMORDEN (former M.B.) CROSS STONE ROAD
SD 950249 (south side)

7/86 Bean Hole Head Farmhouse
and attached barn
(formerly listed as Bean
22.11.66 Hole Head) )

G.V. II*

House dated 1638 with added rear range under 2-span roof at right angles to main
house, dated 1700. Barn added early C18 to west end of main range. Hammer-
dressed stone, (watershot) stone slate roof. 2 storeys. South front originally
3-roomed plan with barn occupying service room to west. To left, single aisle to
barn which has coped gable with kneeler. Square headed mistal doorways with
simple chamfer. Set back is semi-circular cart entry with circular pitching
hole over next to 2 double chamfered mullioned windows of 2 lights. Main
housebody window is double chamfered of 8 lights, lacking centre mullion. Over
is 4-light window. Doorway has tie-stones and cavetto moulded cornice. 4-light
double chamfered mullioned window with same over. Coped gable with kneelers.
Right hand return wall has extruded stack with offsets. Added rear wing has
4-light double chamfered mullioned window (lacking 2 mullions) with hoodmould
over with scrolled label stops. Over is former 4-light window. Coped gables
with kneelers and ball finials. Rear formed by 2 gables with rainwater chute to
valley. Western most gable has large well dressed extruded stack with many
offsets. Return wall of wing has double chamfered mullioned window of 4 lights
(lacking 2 mullions) with hoodmould. Left label stop is formed of letters
'W S'; right, the date '1700'. Over is 4-light window (lacking 2 mullions). At
right angles, under cat-slide roof with wing, is leanto porch which has Tudor
arched doorway with chamfered surround and lintel carved RAS in relief.
1638
Double chamfered mullioned window of 2 lights to rear of main range (now part of
barn). Barn has square headed cart entry with (glazed) pitching hole over.
Composite jambs, chamfered surround, in return wall.
Interior: Scarf jointed spine beams which are reeded, as are floor joists, to
housebody. Fine quality plaster frieze of scrolled vine with
pomegranates and lion masks. Large Royal coat of arms dated 1634 and initialled
'R S A' set within pilasters. To either side, set within arcade are coat of
arms initialled 'M W' and 'D B'. One other is initialled 'E D'. Eastern room
was probably parlour. This has small segmental arched fireplace, with skewbacks
and moulded surround. Original C17 cellar is covered by original oak duardarn
with small reeded stiles and square panels, door and coved canopy with bobbin
turned columns. The side of this cupboard has depressed Tudor arched lintel
leading to stairs to cellar. This room has large reeded beams. Rear western
room, former kitchen, has reeded floor joists, original oak studded door;
segmental arched fireplace has skewbacks and cyma moulded surround. To right of
fire is chamfered surround to beehive oven. Built into the division wall
between the house and the barn, probably dateable to 1700, is C10 cross-shaft
with interlaced carving from former cross on this site which gave the area its
name of Cross Stone. The house contains many original features; the plaster
work is amongst the finest to survive in the Calder Valley.


Listing NGR: SD9501624961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.