This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7242 / 53°43'27"N
Longitude: -2.0781 / 2°4'41"W
OS Eastings: 394942
OS Northings: 425318
OS Grid: SD949253
Mapcode National: GBR FTXC.WP
Mapcode Global: WHB8D.1NP8
Entry Name: Lower Ashes Farmhouse and Attached Gate Piers
Listing Date: 26 November 1966
Last Amended: 22 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338984
Location: Todmorden, Calderdale, OL14
Civil Parish: Todmorden
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Todmorden St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 92NW TODMORDEN (former M.B.) ASHES LANE
Lower Ashes Farmhouse
2/5 (formerly listed as
26.11.66. Lower Ashes)
- and attached gate piers
House, dating from 1610 with alterations dated 1759. Large dressed stone, stone
slate roof. 2 storeys. Double pile on plan. 3-room through-passage plan.
South front of 5 linear divisions. All are double chamfered mullioned windows.
lst division has 4-light window, with same over (lacking 2 mullions). 2nd
division has 5-light window, with 4-light over with to either side inserted
2-light windows (C20) in keeping. 3rd division, former window of 3 lights.
4th division, doorway with chamfered jambs, altered lintel dated 1610. Over is
2-light chamfered mullioned window. 5th division, 6-light window with 6-light
chamfered mullioned window over. 3 stacks to ridge. One to each gable which
is coped with kneelers and ball finial; one other backs onto through passage.
North front reads from left 5-light window with 6-light chamfered mullioned
window over. Doorway with cyma moulded surround has inscribed tablet over inset
with in deeply moulded surround, which reads A C M. (For Anthony and
Mary Crossley of the Scaitcliffe Hall family see Burnley Road q.v.). 5-light
window with 4-light chamfered mullioned window over. 3-light window. Set
between, at 1st floor, is taking-in door with stop chamfered cyma-moulded
surround (blocked). 5-light window (lacking 2 mullions) with 4-light chamfered
window over (lacking 2 mullions). West gable has extruded stack with many
offsets). Attached to either end is stone wall with dressed cappings, ramped
to shaped gable to west under which is doorway. To east, tall gate piers with
rusticated quoins, entablature, deeply moulded cornice surmounted by ball
Interior: Through passage has doorway from north door forming inner porch with
cyma-moulded surround. 2 doors with chamfered surround lead to east. One to
west leads into passage. To north is room with small segmental arched
fireplace. To south is larger segmental arched fireplace, both with cyma-
moulded surround and joggled skewbacks. Doorway with straight lintel and
chamfered surround leads from housebody into parlour. Eastern chamber is formed
by large room open to roof, a former warehouse connected with textile
manufacture. Fireplace with stop chamfered jambs. An important example of a
cloth merchant's house, mid C18.
Listing NGR: SD9494225318
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings