History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

18-20, Towngate

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighouse, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7284 / 53°43'42"N

Longitude: -1.8154 / 1°48'55"W

OS Eastings: 412277

OS Northings: 425792

OS Grid: SE122257

Mapcode National: GBR HTRB.S6

Mapcode Global: WHC9N.2KT3

Entry Name: 18-20, Towngate

Listing Date: 24 April 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133788

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338921

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe

Built-Up Area: Brighouse

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Coley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 12 NW (north side)

1/179 Nos. 18 to 20 (consec.)
27. 4. 76
G. V. II
House, once sub-divided into cottages, now in single occupation. Late C17,
reputedly once dated 1693 with later alterations. Thin coursed dressed stone,
stone slate roof. 2 storeys and attics. 2 room south front has 2 gables with
original entrance in lean-to to left hand side against the rear of a double pile
thus forming an unusual irregular plan. South front reads from left doorway set
back from front has heavy stone lintel, square with stop chamfer. Set within
doorway is original wooden door frame with depressed Tudor arch and carved
spandrels with studded oak door. Over is chamfered cross-window with square
reveals. Return wall to south front has gable stack and coping linked to
parapet which to south front continues linking the 2 gables. 2 bays. Ovolo
moulded drip course, that over 1st floor windows acting as cornice. 1st bay has
C19 doorway with monolithic jambs inserted in site of fire window with 2-light
window over. All are double chamfered mullioned windows, some refaced in
concrete c.1883. 7-light window has king mullion with stepped light over of 3/5
lights. 2nd bay has C19 cottage doorway inserted next to 5-light window over
which is similar stepped light. Gables are coped and have lenticular aperatures
(open bullseyes), with linking parapet. The roof runs parallel with south front
with the 2 gables projecting. Rear has double pile range with 2-span roof
running at right angles to front range. Rear face is rendered. 2 bays of
gables. Crude drip course over ground floor windows which in 1st bay preserves
less elaborate double-framed windows with chamfered mullions and square reveals
of 6 lights to ground floor with same over (lacking 3 mullions).

Interior: The western room to south front was housebody and has remains of
plaster frieze surviving on its east wall and part of its north wall. The
internal division wall between the 2 bays is formed of a plank and stud screen.
Stop chamfered spine beams to parlour originally heated by an extruded stack on
the east wall. The division between the front and rear was originally a timber
wall, running east and west from a central post which survives as does a doorway
with cambered head. The housebody chamber has mortices to soffit of tie beam
(truss not visible) for firehood.

Listing NGR: SE1227725791

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.