This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6973 / 53°41'50"N
Longitude: -1.8731 / 1°52'23"W
OS Eastings: 408473
OS Northings: 422321
OS Grid: SE084223
Mapcode National: GBR HTCP.8C
Mapcode Global: WHC9T.6B9G
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 6 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338495
Location: Calderdale, HX4
Electoral Ward/Division: Skircoat
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Halifax All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
ELLAND NORTH DEAN ROAD
1/71 Church of St Stephen
Church, 1863 by W. H. Crossland for Col. Edward Akroyd. Dressed stone, slate
roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, south porch and transeptal chapel. Heavy offset
buttresses to west front and between nave and chancel. Nave is of 5 bays with
extremely steep roof. Clerestorey lancets and tall 4-light window in a free
Early English style to west front above which is a roundel with figure of patron
saint in high relief. The aisles have pierced trefoil parapet and bays
separated by pinnacled buttresses. Each bay has 3 cinquefoil windows with hood
moulds and decorative stops. South porch in western bay of nave has pointed
relieving arch and decorated segmental tympanum. Gable over with damaged figure
in niche. North transept with 2 lancets and large quatrefoil window over. Tall
chimney with coupled stack rising from wall. Chancel is roofed continuously
with the nave but a bellcote with paired openings stands over the join. The
chancel has a 5 sided apse with tall lancets with colonnettes in each face. On
south side small vestry with cusped headed priest's door. The whole has
decorative hoodmould stops and much grotesque carving.
Interior: wide nave with waggon roof with differing arcades. That on the south
side has moulded arches carried on cylindrical piers. On north side unmoulded
arches carried on clustered colonnettes on square bases. The capitals carved
throughout. The chancel arch carried on corbelled marbelled shafts. The
chancel is tunnel vaulted with moulded ribs forming a star over the apse;
foliated string beneath the windows and much shafting. Heavy arch to North
transept which is filled by the organ. Above this a two bay arcade at
clerestorey level. The lavish decorative scheme survives in part, chiefly
paintings of saints on south wall of chancel and stenciling to lean-to ceilings
of aisles. Other fittings include richly decorated pulpit with mosaic panels;
wrought iron chancel rail and gates. Reredos with mosaic and good stained glass
in west window and apse. 'The Building News', Vol. 7 (August 1861), p.649.
'The Ecclesiologist', Vol. XXIII (1865) P.368. R. A. Carter 'Guide to Yorkshire
Churches', (Idle, 1976), p.20.
Listing NGR: SE0847322321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings