History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Providence United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Holywell Green, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6702 / 53°40'12"N

Longitude: -1.8902 / 1°53'24"W

OS Eastings: 407350

OS Northings: 419303

OS Grid: SE073193

Mapcode National: GBR HV70.K2

Mapcode Global: WHB8V.Y02Q

Entry Name: Providence United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 29 April 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134000

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338428

Location: Calderdale, HX4

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland

Built-Up Area: Holywell Green

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stainland

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Greetland

Listing Text

ELLAND BEESTONLEY LANE
SE 073193 (east side)

5/4 Providence United
Reformed Church
29.4.82
II

Dated 1814, prominently sited hillside chapel of considerable size. Pediment
gabled 3-bay front of 2 storeys and basement. With 7-bay, full 3-storey, sides
(due to slope). Hammer-dressed stone with ashlar trim. The tall entrance front
giving on to terraced burial ground, has ashlar plinth and sill bands and plain
band defining the pediment flanked by blocking dies. Ashlar well lettered date
plaque. The first floor windows take the form of fan glazed lunettes. The
ground floor has 2 simple squared jamb windows and 2 squared jamb gallery
staircase doors flanking the main entrance. The latter given more importance in
the later Cl9 with an ashlar pilastered frame with the cornice of the
entablature raised as pediment over centre. The plain side elevations have
squared jamb windows to lower and ground floors, with rounded heads on top floor;
block brackets to eaves cornice of slate roof.

Interior retains original gallery, extended right round to organ and choir loft,
on cast iron columns, but fittings otherwise sumptuously renewed c.1880 all in
fine quality pine including 1886 organ. The ceiling however remains unaltered
with deeply but delicately modelled acanthus leaf rose-vent to centre. Good
wall tablet to John Eblroyd of Stainland c.1819. Hall, Sunday School and vestry
rooms etc in lower ground floor.


Listing NGR: SE0735019303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.