History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Turkey Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Keighley, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8617 / 53°51'41"N

Longitude: -1.9567 / 1°57'24"W

OS Eastings: 402944

OS Northings: 440604

OS Grid: SE029406

Mapcode National: GBR GRSS.5F

Mapcode Global: WHB7V.X6DF

Entry Name: Turkey Mill

Listing Date: 15 December 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338167

Location: Keighley, Bradford, BD22

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Keighley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Keighley

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Steeton

Listing Text

KEIGHLEY GOOSE EYE
SE 0240 and SE 0340 (east side)
16/71
Turkey Mill
15.12.75

GV II


Cotton spinning mill, now discotheque. 1797, enlarged early and later C19. Grit-
stone, stone slate roof. H-shaped range. Right range: 3 storeys, 6 bays. Round-
headed wheel arch and 2 lunettes (one now door) to ground floor. Square windows
with stone cills and lintels above. A taking-in door with interrupted jambs to
1st and 2nd floors. A mid C19 octagonal chimney reduced in height. Main range:
2 storeys, with 3rd storey added early C19. 13 bays. Central, quoined, round-
arched entrance and blocked windows to ground floor. 1st floor: small square
openings with stone cills and lintels; date plaque to left of centre inscribed
'John Town 1822'. 2nd floor: bays recessed and defined by pilasters; taller
windows. Plain gutter brackets. Shaped kneelers, coping. Bellcote to left gable.
Range to left, at right angles, in state of disrepair and collapse at time of
resurvey. Free-standing 2-storey, 2 x 1 bay block to left. Water-powered mill
bought in 1822 by John Town who enlarged it as a paper mill and adapted it to
steam.


Listing NGR: SE0294440604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.