This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6467 / 53°38'47"N
Longitude: -1.8006 / 1°48'2"W
OS Eastings: 413275
OS Northings: 416701
OS Grid: SE132167
Mapcode National: GBR HVV8.YH
Mapcode Global: WHCB1.9LSR
Entry Name: Gledholt
Listing Date: 29 September 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134243
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339896
Location: Kirklees, HD1
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenhead
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Huddersfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 1316 33/566
Of mediaeval origin, but little earlier than 1720 is apparently visible. Altered
in late C18 or early C19, mid C19, and 1923. Rendered. Hipped stone slate
roof. 2 storeys. Stone brackets to gutter. L-shaped plan. On the entrance
side, ground floor of south block, and both floors of west block are apparently
of 1720, although there is an extension of 3 ranges of sashes with glazing
bars to east of south block. This has, on ground floor, from left to right;
one 4-light stone mullioned window in double stepped surround, with chamfered
mullions and close-set glazing bars; then an ashlar doorframe with 4-centred
chamfered arch inscribed "I W E 1720" (for John and Ellen Wilkinson); then
one 2-light stone mullioned sash with chamfered surround; then one 4-light
stone mullioned window in double-stepped surround with chamfered mullions and
close-set glazing bars. Stringcourse above. 1st floor has one round-arched
stair window with glazing bars, one sash with glazing bars, one sash, one tripartite
stone mullioned sash with glazing bars. Porch of circa 1920.
West block has five 2-light stone mullioned casements with glazing bars on
1st floor, and on ground floor, one door with stone mullioned fanlight with
glazing bars, then 2 mullioned and transomed crosses with glazing bars, then
one 2-plus-2 light stone mullioned window, then one door with 6 sunk panels.
Mid C19 ashlar stack, arched in centre, corniced, coped.
Extension to north of west block: hammer-dressed stone: probably later C18.
Band. 3 ranges of sashes with glazing bars (left hand ground floor one bipartite),
of which centre bay breaks forward and is crowned by pediment with oculus in
plain raised frame. Door with 6 sunk panels.
Garden front regularised in late C18 or early C19. Ashlar. Moulded eaves
cornice. Blocking course. 8 ranges of sashes with glazing bars in plain raised
surrounds; central 1st floor sash has moulded surround. Door below it has
frame with Tuscan half columns and segmental pediment. Ground floor has fretwork
verandah. One door at south end with 6 panels, 4 fielded.
Interior: Dining room has C17 oak panelling and good late C18 iron and brass
grate with blue and white Delft tiles. Very large chamfered beams. Most interiors
belong to the period of alterations in 1923, when they were executed by
History. The house was held by the Gledholts from the C13 until the C16, when
it passed to the Hirsts. In 1686 the Hirsts sold it to Matthew Wilkinson of
Greenhead Hall. His son John Wilkinson married Ellen Townley, daughter of
John Townley of Newhouse Hall, and it is probably they who are responsible
for much of the rebuilding of the house. From 1852 to 1868 it was occupied
by T P Crosland, MP for Huddersfield (1865-8).
Listing NGR: SE1331016732
Other nearby listed buildings