History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cliff Hill and Attached Archway

A Grade II Listed Building in Luddendenfoot, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7342 / 53°44'3"N

Longitude: -1.9584 / 1°57'30"W

OS Eastings: 402842

OS Northings: 426426

OS Grid: SE028264

Mapcode National: GBR GTR8.T3

Mapcode Global: WHB8F.WDMM

Entry Name: Cliff Hill and Attached Archway

Listing Date: 15 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134454

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339392

Location: Calderdale, HX2

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Mytholmroyd

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Heptonstall

Listing Text

SOWERBY BRIDGE TOWN GATE
SE 0226 & SE 0326
(north side, off), Midgley
4/260
Cliff Hill and attached
15.11.66 archway
GV II
Farmhouse with attached archway. Dated "INMN 1601"; addition, alterations and
archway of c.1700. Thinly-coursed rubble interspersed with larger blocks, stone
slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 2 to left being an addition; a rear outshut to
bays 3 and 4, bay 2 built out in line with this and a later rear outshut to bay 5
completing the rear range. Earlier 3-bay range on right: door between left bays
has chamfered quoined shallow-basket-arched surround the lintel with date panel.
A 5-light double-chamfered mullion window to left (1 mullion removed) and a
similar 8-light window to right, the door and these windows under continuous
dripmould, rising over door, with leaf and heart stops. Inserted plain-stone
surround doorway to far left. To left a blocked inserted doorway and a 6-light
chamfered mullion window (some mullions renewed). On 1st floor, single-chamfered
mullion windows of 5, 7 and 5 lights. Shaped kneeler and coping to right end. 3
corniced ridge stacks, on right of each bay. 2-bay addition on left: chamfered
mullion windows. Left bay, projecting forward, has a 3-light window to each floor
and doorway in right return. Right bay has a blocked doorway to left of a 4-light
window with a 5-light window above, shaped kneeler and coping to left end. c.1980
ridge stack between bays. Archway springing from right angle of left bay has
springer, round arch, dropped keystone, coped rubble walling above, and dies into
wall of barn (q.v.). Rear: original outshut has quoins and chamfered mullion
windows of 4, 2 and 3 lights (most mullions removed). Right return has similar
windows of 3 and 2 lights to ground floor. Left return: flat-faced mullion
windows; two 1st-floor taking-in doors. Interior not inspected at time of
resurvey. With their 1st-floor doors it is likely that the left-hand bays were
added to provide extra workshop accommodation.


Listing NGR: SE0284226426

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.