History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spring Hill and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Ryburn, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6943 / 53°41'39"N

Longitude: -1.9655 / 1°57'55"W

OS Eastings: 402375

OS Northings: 421979

OS Grid: SE023219

Mapcode National: GBR GTQQ.8F

Mapcode Global: WHB8M.SD7R

Entry Name: Spring Hill and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 19 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 339248

Location: Calderdale, HX6

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Ryburn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sowerby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripponden

Listing Text

SOWERBY BRIDGE KENNEL LANE
SE 0221 and SE 0321
(south side, off)
17/106
- Spring Hill and attached
barn
- II
Laithehouse. C17. Rubble brought to course, stone slate roofs. House of 2 storeys,
2 wide bays with front and rear outshuts to end bay, barn on right. Quoins, double-
chamfered mullion windows. South front: barn has central, quoined, round-arched cart
entry with voussoirs and single light above. On right, at lower level, a quoined
mistal doorway. On left, a chamfered, quoined doorway to left of 2-light window with
5- (now 3-) light window above. House: right bay has a blocked plain stone surround
doorway on right (now with window) and a 5-light window with hoodmould and 4-light
window above. Straight joint on left indicates left bay is possibly an addition. It
is single-storey and has, on left, a porch with chamfered basket-arched doorway under
panel incised 'WMP'. Inside is a plain stone surround doorway. To right of porch is
1742
a 4-light window with truncated hoodmould. In right return of outshut a round-arched
light with sunk spandrels. Corniced eaves stack at junction with outshut and at left
end to rear of roof pitch. Finial to left gable. Rear: barn has opposing cart
entry. To its right is a chamfered light, low down, and a chamfered, quoined doorway
with single-chamfered light on right and C20 round-arched light above (this bay now
part of house). House: left bay has 2 doorway-like recesses, that on left with stone
shelves, and a 4-light window above. On right, outshut has two 2-light windows
(mullions removed, one blocked) and a carved hoodmould stop. In left return of out-
shut is quoined, Tudor-arched doorway with sunk spandrels in moulded oblong surround.
Above is a single-light window (C19) with hoodmould. Interior not inspected, but left
end of barn has chamfered fireplace, the lintel with incised panel 'IW . Barn roof
1702'
partly destroyed by fire at time of resurvey.


Listing NGR: SE0237521979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.