This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7255 / 53°43'31"N
Longitude: -2.0619 / 2°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 396012
OS Northings: 425461
OS Grid: SD960254
Mapcode National: GBR GT1C.D7
Mapcode Global: WHB8D.9MD9
Entry Name: Lower East Lee and Attached Barn
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Last Amended: 22 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339092
Location: Todmorden, Calderdale, OL14
Civil Parish: Todmorden
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Todmorden St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 92SE TODMORDEN (former M.B.) EAST LEE LANE
3/100 Lower East Lee and
(formerly listed as Lower last
22.11.66 Lee Farmhouse and Barn to north
of Lower East Lee)
House. 1610 (date on lintel of rear doorway), with added porch c.1631 with
added barn on to right hand end early C19. Large dressed stone which is
watershot to barn, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-room through-passage plan
with projecting 2-storey gabled porch. Of 4 uneven bays. Reads from left
double chamfered mullioned window of 4 lights with 4-light chamfered mullioned
window over. Long range of 12 lights to double chamfered mullioned window over.
Some original hollow chamfered mullions survive others have ordinary chamfer.
3rd bay is formed by porch which has lintel with ogee, composite jambs, and
finely moulded surround with fleur-de-lys carving to stop. Over lintel is
inscribed narrow stone reading: ' Es, 27.OCTO.1631 '. Over is double chamfered
mullioned and transomed window with hoodmould of 6 lights. Surmounted by
columbarium and arched light with spandrels. Coped gable with kneelers and
crocketed finial to apex. Return walls have small chamfered light. Square
headed to left hand, arched to right hand. 4th bay has 2 slightly chamfered
mullioned windows of 2 lights, the wall between opened to form extra light,
(mullions removed). Over is similar 2-light window with sill removed and
lengthened. The original plan would appear to have been: Parlour, Housebody,
through passage and service end (with inferior window detail). 3 stacks to
ridge, 2 of which are C17 (those to left hand gable and 3rd bay) and one C18
stack to right hand gable both of which are coped with slight kneelers.
Attached to right hand gable flush with front, but with lower roof line, is barn
which has semi-circular arched cart entry with composite jambs with Venetian
window over with projecting false keystone. To left a 6-light flat faced
mullioned window now forms 2 windows and door. To right is doorway to mistal
with tie stones. Coped gable. Interior of barn of 3 bays of Queen post roof of
very wide span. Rear of house retains some chamfered mullioned windows. Return
wall has 2-light window with heavy square lintel bearing the initials 'WM'.
Interior: Through passage has arch carrying stack with early C19 punched
stonework. Housebody has large segmental arch to fireplace with moulded
surround. Inside is square opening to domed beehive oven. Spine beams have
scarf joints giving evidence of former bressumer for firehood. Parlour has
finely stop chamfered spine beams and floor joists. King block roof.
Listing NGR: SD9601225461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings