This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7246 / 53°43'28"N
Longitude: -1.7097 / 1°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 419249
OS Northings: 425393
OS Grid: SE192253
Mapcode National: GBR JTHC.NK
Mapcode Global: WHC9P.QN10
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 13 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341006
Location: Kirklees, BD19
Electoral Ward/Division: Cleckheaton
Built-Up Area: Cleckheaton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cleckheaton St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 12 NE SPENBOROUGH MB CHURCH STREET
Church of St John
Gothic Revival Church. The west tower only remains of the Commissioners'
Church of 1830-32 by Peter Atkinson Junior. Chancel of 1864. -The rest
of the church 1886-8 by William Swindon Barber. Hammer dressed stone.
Slate roof with gable copings. West tower, 5-bay nave with lean-to
buttressed aisles, and south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry wing.
Triple lancets to clerestory, paired lancets with stained glass to
aisles. 2-light windows with traceried head and hood mould to chancel.
East window is of 5-lights with large 8-foiled circle in head. 3-tier
square tower with west lancet and south doorway. Two lancets and one
blind clock face to 2nd tier. Paired louvred lancets to 3rd tier.
Large angle buttresses to 1st tier and slender clasping buttresses to
2nd and 3rd tiers. Small parapet on moulded corbel brackets. Formerly
the tower had 4 slender pinnacles with conical tops.
Spacious interior with 5-bay arcade to each side on short columns.
Clerestory and aisle windows have detached colonnettes with foliated
capitals. Chancel arch. Carved oak chancel screen of 1910 with 12
Apostles carved at base and richly carved frieze of vines. Similarly
carved pulpit of same date. Richly carved stone reredos depicting
the Last Supper.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SE1924925393
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings