This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5945 / 53°35'40"N
Longitude: -1.8387 / 1°50'19"W
OS Eastings: 410774
OS Northings: 410895
OS Grid: SE107108
Mapcode National: GBR HVLW.Q6
Mapcode Global: WHCB6.QXM7
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 6 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 340869
Location: Meltham, Kirklees, HD9
Civil Parish: Meltham
Built-Up Area: Meltham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Christ the King, Meltham
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 11 SW MELTHAM MILLS ROAD
Church of St. James
6th April 1967
Gothic Revival Church. 1845 by J P Pritchett. Endowed and founded
by James Brook of Thorparch. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings.
Pitched slate roof with gable copings. Cruciform plan with square
west tower with slender, octagonal stone spire. Chancel with side
bays. South porch on south transept. Square porch on south
side of tower. Bay divisions marked by buttresses. Angle buttresses
to corners surmounted by tall pinnacles. 4-bay nave, transepts are
2 bays deep, 2-bay chancel under which, at east end, is arched slype
with foiled window openings. Vault under chancel with arched entrance
on east side. Single bay to each side of chancel containing vestry
and organ. Slender 2-light lancets with cusped heads and hood moulds
to nave. Similar north and south 3-light window to transepts. Single
and 2-light traceried windows with cambered heads to chancel and side
bays. East window is 3-light with cusped lights and two quatrefoils
in head. 2-tier tower with diagonal buttresses and crenellated ashlar
parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Simple 2-light bell chamber openings,
and slender 2-light lancets with transom to lower tier, all with hood
moulds with mask-like faces as stops.
Interior: gallery to west, and north and south transepts, the latter now
gone. Those to north and south were presumably later than 1853 since
they part obscure wall memorials, one of that date. Galleries were
reached from the outside. Chancel and transept arches on clustered
responds. Diagonally crossbraced roof with carved bosses,
Carved oak reredos, pulpit, reading desk and good. eagle lecturn.
Memorial to James Brook of Thorparch, 1845, by E G Physick, a marble
relief depicting mother and child and departing husband. Also by
E G Physick, 1855, a memorial to Charlotte and William Leigh Brook of
Meltham Hall, a marble relief of lamenting women. A memoral to James
Brook of Thornton Lodge, died 1840, by H Mares.
N. P.evsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, 1978.
Listing NGR: SE1077410895
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings